Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfkaplan1_gw

travertine deck sinkage

pfkaplan1
9 years ago

Hi all,
My inground pool , deck(travertine pavers) and cage were installed less than 3 years ago. I live in SW Florida. Pool is 15x30, entire cage footprint, including pool is 28x50. A few months after install, some of the travertine pavers started sinking. The Pb had his paver installer comeout and 'fix' the problem. Well this problem has had to be bandaided a few times already....three times i in less than three years and now it needs it again. One time my foot went clear through up to my ankle in one place. That time they took off the pavers, packed down the sand and reinstalled. Now, it's about 8 months since that last time and the pavers are sinking again, roughly there is 1 inch drops at most points, mostly in the rows close to the coping. The coping is the same travertine, only mortared . Now my pool builder says he is using a different paver installer, and for a similar job he charged $200 to'fix' the problem.... and did I want to set that up? . The pb offered to pay anything over the $200. I am actually not sure what the right thing is to do. My feeling, as a consumer, is that the deck fill was never properly prepared to begin with if it started sinking less that 4 months after the build and has been repeatedly having to be 'fixed'. I think I shouldn't have to pay anything! I'm all for fair and my opinion is not unbiased at this point. Does anyone else have thoughts about this or experience with this? Is pb liable? Is there a more permanent fix to this? I can't see having to do this year after year..... your input appreciated!

Comment (1)

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

How long is the warranty? Regardless, since you started having problems so soon after the install, and have had problems ever since I would think the PB would step up to the plate on this. It seems like things were never right to begin with.