Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridaben

Installing Replacement Pool Pump

FloridaBen
11 years ago

I am planning to replace my current pool pump with a variable speed pump, however the new pump is longer than the current model. I need an additional 6-8 inches to move the pump away from the house but the suction line from the ground has no slack. I am wondering if I can dig down about two feet in the ground at the suction line and use 45 degree ells to move the suction line the 6-8 inches out from my house so the pump will fit? Will this cause me problems? I do not want to use 90 degree ells since this would obstruct water flow and force the pump to work harder than the two 45 degree ells.

Comments (5)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Two 45s doesn't make it easier, just harder to do.

Turn the pump 180 degrees, redo the electrical, the suction lines, valves, and line to the filter. Make sure you set the pump on cement patio blocks.

Scott

• FloridaBen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Scott. The issue is the pump is at the corner of my home and if I use the suction line as is and rotate the pump it will be directly exposed to the elements and have no protection from the home overhang. With the 45 degree ells, my thought is that it would reduce friction as opposed to 90 degree reposition of the suction line and since I have sufficient rise in the suction pipe (12 to 20 inches underground), I can effectively move the position out from the house by 6-12 inches which allows the pump to be installed in the same location with minimum changes. I am attempting to get the pump installed at least 6 inches of distance from the foundation of the house to allow proper cooling. Some installations I see on-line have barely 3 inches which I believe will cause overheating of the motor.

• mas985
    11 years ago

Two 45s have about the same friction loss as a single 90 so you won't gain much and you lose the compactness of the 90. If you are interested in reducing head loss, the best bang for your buck is pipe size. Increasing pipe size has a far greater effect than using specialized fittings.

One other thing. A pump works harder with LESS head loss (higher flow rate) not more head loss. Common misconception.

This post was edited by mas985 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 11:47

• FloridaBen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The only reason for using the 45's is to kick the suction side out far enough to mount the pump with enough rear clearance to allow ventilation. I have no problem re-piping the filter and such but just need the extra space for the fan exhaust. Also want to protect the pump from the elements as much as possible.

• FloridaBen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention the 45s would be below ground on the rising section of the suction line to allow it to be moved away from the pump inlet. Only two new fittings would be added so head addition should be minimal. Thanks

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County