Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
started construction on lap pool ... pics, depth questions

Posted by rockybird (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 15:57

So far, I have the pool excavated. It is 60+ feet x 15 feet. The depth is 3.5 feet on the end nearest the house, where people will doubtless hang out. The deepest it gets is 5.5 feet. I believe the opposite end is 4.5 feet. I am a novice swimmer, but would like to use this to swim when it is warm enough (I live in Phoenix). I would also like this to be a pool that my niece and nephews can play in when they are a little older. Before the work goes much farther, I am wondering if:

- the pool should be 5 feet at the deepest (I am 5.6') or does that matter?
- the one end should be 4 feet deep for easier flip turns.
-I have a long bench along one side of the pool, but maybe there should be a bench along the other length as well?

I am also sad to see that in the AM at least about half of the pool is in the shadows! However, I dont believe this will be an issue in the summer and we utilized the old pool imprint for this pool.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Imprint of old pool:

Photobucket

Since we started excavation, this little guy showed up. He is a sweetheart, apparently a young adolescent male. I cant find his owner. I am feeding him, and he doesnt mind all the trucks and men. He got into the house the other day:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thinking he was a girl, I named him Ernestine.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: started construction on lap pool ... pics, depth questions

You have a large, flat roof. You could put solar panels up there and heat the pool.

I am a pool man, not a bird man. ;-) I might suggest you set up a small hen house for him o roost at night. Keep his food and drink away from the deck area. IIRC, bird poop is acidic and can stain.

I wonder if my Labrador would try to fetch, get scared, or get tough. Or my German Shepherd, or my cats, particularly the one we call The Pig(he eats everything, meat on your plate, sweet peas, a snake, frogs, crickets...).

Scott

Scott

o

Is the planned depth as measured from the middle of the water line tile or the top of the tile?

Treading water for exercise is easier when your feet don't touch the bottom.

Scott

o

Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away...he looks delicious! lol

o

Thank you for your help. The depth was from the water line. I changed it to 4 - 5 - 4.5. They came out today and re-leveled the dirt.

Ernestine is still hanging around. I guess he likes it here (plus he thinks I am the equivalent of a mealworm pez dispenser).

o

any update? I was anxious to see this one finished!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here