Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is new pool ok with no cover over winter

Posted by bosox1086 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 15:13

New gunite pool finished a month or so ago. Not plastering and filling until spring. PB said it would be fine over winter and it probably will be but there's several inches of murky, leaf filled water in it currently. I'm in the NE and that'll definatly freeze in a month or so. Should I get a pump and pump it out or is it really no problem? Just looking for confirmation. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is new pool ok with no cover over winter

Our pool was shot in December, and was not tiled or plastered until April. We are in NJ. No issues. No need to pump now, it's jut going to fill up over the winter anyway. As long as it's pumped dry and lightly power washed before plastering, you won't have a problem. Go Pats.

o

jimbar, shame on you. The Pats? J E T S Jets Jets Jets!

bosox, even though I am a Yankee fan, I will tell you the truth in that as long as the hydrostatic plugs are pulled, the shell will be just fine left alone for the winter without covering.

Scott

o

Yup. Had Jets season tix, Sec 131, row 2, 50 yard line since they were at Giant's Stadium. For the new stadium, they wanted one time $100,000 in seat license's, and $2800 a game for 4 tix ($700 each), including pre-season, so $28K a year. Used to cost me $4000 a year, $400 a game ($100 each). The J-E-T-S can kiss my A-$-$ !. I'm done with them, go Pats.

Could build another pool or 2 for that money!

o
RE: new pool ok with no cover over winter

Here's a couple of photos of our build during the winter lag time....

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Sorry Jimbo, didn't know. I certainly can appreciate that.

Scott

o

Hi, I'm in the Boston area and just finished with gunite. Our PB said the same thing. Only difference is that I think they (read "we") are going to partially fill it - something about it not popping out of the ground? Which PB did you use? Any photos? Thanks, Marta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here