Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3M Color Quartz Pool resurface

Posted by coachard (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 12:45

I'm having the EXACT same problem as Rosebella2.

Here's her post:
Pool plastered a wk ago with 3 m Carribean Blue, Premium. The person who plastered it claimed to have used product alot before. Started Pool fill same day-without acid bath or other treatment. When completely full - acid put in pool and then brushed for 3 days.
Problem: Inconsistant exposer of quartz-particularly on steps, and the loveseats [all 4]along spotter tiles. White shrieks [some rised-thicker plaster appearently], wavy lines, large and white spots various areas of pool, sides, bottom steps and loveseats.

Finsh is not acceptable. The person who did the work claims all 3m finished pool inconsistent, etc. Claims he has done many. Says if we checked pools done by others with this prouct, all would look like ours. 'Just the nature of the product'- he would have us beleive.

Our Constractor trusted the person-he has done good work for him in the past but never with this product. This is the first time our constractor has had customer use this product. He will do what is neccessary to rectify problem. The q. is what is the best to do at this point? Also -are these problems common with this product? Thank you for any inform you might share? Rosabella2

We just a had a total pool and deck remodel.
My contractor had his sub-contracted pool company come out again and drain the pool and "diamond brush the surface. It was a big improvement, but in many sections of the pool it looks like "corrections".
Also when the chipped out the old plaster with a jackhammer it obviously left a very uneven surface. The just replastered over that surface instead of filling in out feathering the deeper indentations. This is very apparent at night with the pool light on. It show all the shadows.
My contractor tells me that this is normal & acceptable.
It looks very good in the daytime with the sun shining on the surface, but with shade or with the light on at night you can see all the inperfections.
Has any body else out there have this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3M Color Quartz Pool resurface

We are trying to decide on a new pool builder and we have gotten such different theories on the quartz products! They all want us to pick the pebbletec or pebblesheen product and said it works better but we like the feel of the quartscapes. Do you remember if it was quartzbrite or quartzscapes? I am finding each builder recommending the quartzscapes over the quartzbrite -- apparently there is a difference in the quality of the finish.

o

I am a 28 year experienced builder in Spring, TX who has long history with gunite pools but now I do only vinyl liner in ground . I say this not to look for business but to state that I am not looking for yours but I do have experience.

I have been around the 3M quartz for many years. Let me say this: I have NEVER seen it look like the samples. EVER. It will be just as said: streaked, inconsistant, and full of 'clouds'. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the way 3M has always looked.

o

The only luck I've ever had with these finishes was to smack it with acid and dropping the PH bigtime. Then brush brush brush, in a little it'll time come around.
Then keep your PH on the low side of mid 7's and ALK at 100 (+-20) and don't let CH go over 300.
Schmackmaster is correct, don't trust the samples to gauge your pool finish by.

Don't give up on your finish and don't expect anything more from your builder than the drain, acid wash, and diamond buff.
Most importantly, you can't determine your pool finish with the pool lights at night.

See ya,
Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here