Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it bad to overfill a pool? It's raining a lot!

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 12:14

It's raining here and our pool is filling up. The water line is up to the coping and we're just getting started with the rain.

Is that a problem? If it makes a difference, the plaster is pretty new but the coping and deck need to be replaced. It won't freeze.

I should probably know this, but it just doesn't rain here and the idea of rain overfilling a pool seems preposterous.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it bad to overfill a pool? It's raining a lot!

pump some water out, its not good to overfill. depending on type of coping water can get behind shell and cause problems and its eaiser for dirt, runoff or other garbage thats flooding around you to get into pool.

o

Thanks Jump. It's uhhh I don't know. Concrete. But I don't know how it's put together. The coping and concrete are pretty much shot at this point in their life and will hopefully be redone next year but I don't want any serious damage of course. Looks like this and was installed in 1961:

I don't think it will actually spill over but I doubt it has a very good seal between tile and coping. (And I don't know if there is even supposed to be a seal there. Still learning this pool stuff.) Is there most likely a thing on the pump that I can open to drain the pool?

Thanks!

o

Extended periods of months will weaken the coping bond and can penetrate the thinset. Short periods won't do much. When it stops raining, just lower the pool. Since this isn't exactly swimming season, redoing the coping and tile next year will be fine.

Scott

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here