Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade towel warmer

Posted by inspectorjoe (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 11:59

One thing that's been on my wish list for the 6 years my wife and I have had out hot tub is a towel warmer. We soak pretty much every night from October through April and rarely use the tub in the warmer months. I have a row of 6 wrought iron hanging plant holders that we use to hold robes, but when the air temp is 10 degrees, the towels get a tad bit chilly. Warm towels, while not a necessity, would be a nice little luxury.

I've looked online for outdoor towel warmers, but they tend to start at around $2,000, have more features than I want or need, and no one seems to have them in stock. At $2,000, warm towels is a luxury I can't afford.

I decided to make my own. I figure a simple wood box with a small 150 watt strip heater (or even a light bulb) in the bottom under a false floor would do the trick. Before I reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone else made their own warming box. If so, does it work OK? Is there anything you would change about it?

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade towel warmer

Too much work.

We bought this, works great.

http://www.brookstone.com/oversized-towel-warmer.html?bkeid=compare:mercent:googlebase:search&mr:trackingCode=149AC2E1-02D7-DF11-9C39-001517B1882B&mr:referralID=NA

o
RE: Homemade towel warmer

That might work. I hadn't considered one designed for indoor use, but I guess I could carry it out when needed and plug it into a GFCI receptacle. It only holds two large towels, though. Most of the time it's just my wife and me, but occasionally my stepdaughter or another couple (or two) join us.

At least buying one off the shelf, I'll have it to use. Making one, who knows when I'd get around to it. I'm a bit of a procrastinator.

For example, last spring one of the pump/motor units was going bad. Since we rarely use the tub in warm weather, I just cut the power and figured I'd fix it when I had a chance. By mid-summer, I figured the water must be getting pretty disgusting, but was afraid to look. By late summer I had built up enough courage to take a peek. My jaw dropped when I saw there was no water in it at all. I added water, only to discover it was pouring out a pump seal. I still didn't want to deal with it, as it's really shoehorned in with other components in front of it, so procrastinated some more. Well, it's been getting down to around 25 degrees at night lately, so if I didn't want the water that remains in the lines to freeze and cause major damage, I thought I'd better get on it. I just placed the order for a new pump/motor unit a half hour ago.

That first soak next week is going to feel extra nice.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here