Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals

Posted by gil_happy (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 11:57

Hello,

I am a first time hot tub owner and I'm in the process of having my electrical contractor come out to my home and complete the electrical connections to my HotSpring Grandee Hot Tub which I have 'inherited' from my neighbor while he is renting.

I have a question namely about chemicals and maintaining the water. There is lots of information on the net about how to maintain and treat the water with different chemicals.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what chemicals to purchase (maybe ones that aren't so harsh to the body and swimming suit?) and testing equipment? I'm very new to this and the subject and I'm looking for any information that will help me out.

I'm sure Amazon.com probably has everything I need, but I need help navigating the process.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals

I have owed a hot tub for 25+ year and have tried most sanitation methods. Here is what I have found is most effective.

A. For sanitizer use Bromine tablets in a floater.
B. Use Mule Team 20 to raise ALK and Baking soda to raise PH. Until you get a feel for them do very small amounts. That is all that you really need to monitor. Buy a test strip kit that tests all three.
C. Get a second filter. Swap them every week, spray out the removed one well and leave it outside until the next swap. The sun and elements kill nasties.
D. Drain, clean and refill every three months minimum. Hard to say if you should do more frequently, it is based on how much you use it. But unless it is a huge tub, they do not take that much water and a drain and refill is always better that trying to fix bad water.

o

Concur with keithw on all points, except swapping the filter. Depends on use. If a lot, agree. I would add the less you worry and fritter the better. Be easy on yourself, it is easy to over manage the water. Go for close not precise levels else you will lose your mind, over treat the water. Ever pilot a boat? Same thing. You can oversteer yourself into a frenzy.

Enjoy it, the winter is our fav time.

The only suit to wear is the Birthday suit.......

o

Thanks very much for the feedback.... my hot tub is 500 gallons and I plan to use maybe once or twice a week. Most of the time it will be just myself or one other person.

Thanks again

o

I use bromine tablets, there aren't as harsh as chlorine but then they dissolve much slowly than chlorine. If you have problem with the odor of chlorine then I suggest you use bromine too. Other than these two I have heard of mineral sanitizers used as cleaners in the hot tub which doesn't cause much odor or are harsh to our body. But on the flip side these are relatively expensive and doesn't clear water like the other two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here