Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chad_spring_gw

Builder Advise

chad_spring
14 years ago

I live in Spring, Texas and I am in the very early stages of the pool process. I have just starting the research process. I have not contacted any builders as of this point. I am considering Atlantis Pools, The Pool Man, Marquise Pools and was wanting any input on these builders.

Comments (9)

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

All 3 of your potential builders are awesome contractors with a long term business history in the area.
    You'll find Marquise to be higher on price than Atlantis and The Pool Man who'll probably be very close to each others prices.
    I'd have any of the 3 build a pool in my backyard.

See ya,
    Kelly

• janesm
    14 years ago

I live in NW Houston and our pool is almost finished. I received quotes from 5 pool builders before deciding on Flamingo Custom Pools in Tomball. One of the quotes we got was from The Pool Man. Reasons we decided against them included that they were adamant about gettting a $5000 Paramount in-floor cleaner, and adamant about getting a Paramount Ozone system, saying they usually make people sign a waiver if they insist on a salt pool. I felt like they didn't really care what we wanted. They were also the most expensive by far, even when you deducted the 5K for the in-floor cleaner. They also didn't offer any references.
    I am absolutely thrilled with Flamingo Custom Pools and the work they are doing. Everything has been extremely professional. They provided a huge number of references. I called three at random and all absolutely loved them, and now I see why. Good luck with your pool. It CAN be a very good experience:)

• nosabe
    14 years ago

I got bids from 4 builders. All of them required a waiver of warranty if we chose a saltwater pool. The Pool Man gave us more than 100 references with addresses and phone numbers.

• janesm
    14 years ago

nosabe, did you use The Pool Man and did you like them?

• airborne101
    14 years ago

Chad, I believe Kelly aka Huskyridor above is Atlantis Pools, if I remember correctly. I've been on this board for a few years and been married to a contractor for many years...... Kelly is a straight shooter, always helpful on the board, and has many pools/clients on this forum who seem very pleased with his work. If I lived in TX he would build my pool, regardless of price. You cannot put a price on peace of mind. Search his name, you'll see. Enjoy the build, HTH, Barb

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Barb,
    Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!
    Jane's correct about the Pool Man really pushing the full Paramount system, that's just the way the owner wants the sales to team to do it. All you have to do is push that paperwork back across the table and tell the designer your not interested.
    She also enjoys a very good local builder, Rich at Flamingo is in Tomball about 10 miles from Spring.

See ya,
    Kelly

• nosabe
    14 years ago

Got bids from AJ's, Sunshine, Exterior Worlds, and Pool Man. All are definitely in the upper price range. (The first three are landscape architects who create full design packages. AJ's and Sunshine charge a design fee, but their work is extraordinary!) We really wanted the infloor cleaner because friends who have it absolutely love it. The Pool Man is building our pool right now. Two weeks in...so far, so good.

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

I found this site when one of my clients told me about it about a year ago. So I have been lurking around this forum for a while. Primarily reading the postings and watching some of the pools being built. I am not here to advertise myself only to lend a hand in some of the pool building questions that are asked here.

To give a little background on myself. I started in this business over 20 years ago. First off doing commercial repairs and commercial new construction. I have always built residential pools but up to 4 years ago it has only been a hobby. I really enjoy designing pools but on the commercial side most of the designs are done by an architectural firm and then signed off on by an engineering firm and then I get to build it per their specs. I am fully versed in the hydraulics, electrical, and structural design of all pools.
    I see many voices on here and for the most part as far as the professionals on here I am impressed with their knowledge. But I have also seen a few comments on here from "professionals" that concern me. I am not here to cut down other builders or designers only to help when needed. So hopefully I can help all members here.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Welcome to the board.
    I can assure you that the bulk of the membership really benefit from the input of the industry insiders who reply to their questions.
    I can't speak for the other builders here but I can tell you that for myself this forum sells work for my company.
    I've never spammed the members here for work but I got kicked off the board a few years ago on my old name "huskyrider" just for having my website name in my personal statistics in the same manner yours is when I click on your info.
    I appealed to the membership and they stood up for me.

If you ever see any comments of mine that concern you, don't hesitate to call me out on it. I proofread every reply to be sure that I don't feel it could be interpreted in any manner other than the way I expected it to come across.

I look forward to your input and some pic's of your inventory.

See ya,
    Kelly