Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corypollock

snookums pool plastering

coryp
16 years ago

hi snooks, was this plastering fiasco with your new pool? i'm in the middle of a deal with elite environments and i was waivering between a kerber color for my pool and a pebble tec color. wondering if i sould just stick with the tec... i'm assuming if we're in the same area, it'll be the same contractors.

Posted by snookums (My Page) on Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 14:34

We had our spa plastered three times. The third time it was done because the 2nd plaster finish was so sloppy and uneven due to all the chiseling out of the old plaster. We did make them come in and recoat the gunite in spots so that the third time the plaster would lay evenly. (Called "browncoating") This was not normal protocol and we had to threaten to sue Kerber Brothers to get it done right. What was said before is right - once a plaster job is redone, it's never as nice as the first time.

If it were me, if I could live with it, I would not pay for plaster at all and just keep it. If you absolutely want the different color, you need to be on top of them at every moment during the job to ask about this spot, or that spot, or filling in any voids with browncoat (which has to be done a day or two before plaster). The third time around both myself and the job site supervisor stood over the plaster guy for four hours - literally - to make sure it was perfect. I told them before I started that I was going to be extremely picky and I was not going to go away until it was perfect - and they understood but it took a long time to get there (months). I sat in a chair at the edge of that spa until it was done. And that was only the spa, not the whole pool. And if were you I still wouldn't pay for the full amount, just for your hassle. Plus you will need to refill the pool, and start it up again, etc etc etc.

It's obvious the builder wants you to wait 30 days in hopes you will change your mind...

Comments (4)

• snookums
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cory,

I should be clear that Elite Environments was WONDERFUL with us and still are to this day. Even recently if we've had a question they call back immediately, and would even come out if needed. I highly recommend them and you should have confidence in that.

I found them through another poster here on this forum (rganno). Anyway, Elite Environments contracts their plastering jobs exclusively with Kerber and Kerber does pebble and mini-pebble, but they don't do the Pebble Tec brand. Rganno really wanted Pebble Tec and so Elite worked out a once-time deal with a different installer who was Pebble Tec certified for them. We, however, didn't want pebble at all, we wanted a smooth surface, and so opted for the Colorquartz. All of the builders we spoke to offered it (they probably all use Kerber Bros as they are a HUGE company), but it was Gary at Elite who introduced us to the concept. We were also one of their first customers to get it, though.

However, that has nothing to do with how Kerber screwed up. It would have happened with any surface material we chose. But when it happened, Elite so had our backs and helped us to make it right.

First I should mention that the pool never had a problem. It was the spa. From day one there was a hair line crack on the edge of the bench. Over a few months it grew bigger until finally I could stick my pinky finger in it. Kerber came out and said, ok, we'll replace it, but it's probably the gunite company's fault. Shane from Elite said probably not and I decided that I didn't want my job to be delayed due to a dispute between the plaster co and the gunite co - so Shane and I played secret agent one day. lol The plaster co. wanted to come out and "evaluate" the situation to see if it was the gunite company's fault - bad gunite or something. Apparently last time this happened they sent a bill to the gunite guy and he couldn't fight it, so this time he wanted to be there during the evaluation. He waited out in front of our house for two days straight, when Kerber said they would come. Finally he drives away on the third day, and 30 mins later the plaster company shows up. Hmmm. So anyway I was on the phone instantly with Shane, and he had the plaster guy (who very smartly hadn't gone far) back at my house in 5 minutes.

So they take the cracked part off and it comes off in one big sheet. Not supposed to do that. Took photos and everything. Turns out the plaster company hadn't cleaned up the gunite in the spa and it didn't laminate. Kerber's fault.

They wanted to patch it and Shane said no way.

So they came back out and chiseled the rest out and replastered it. This time the plaster stuck but the guy who did it must have been drunk or something. It had waves and bumps and for some reason, one jet was now 3 inches inside the plaster.

Soooo...they come back out again. Ok, we'll redo it again, they said. But this time, I insisted, your BEST crew (they have 100 crews) and your most experienced guys. And tell them to be prepared because I am going to stand over their shoulders and nitpick. Me too, said Shane. What other job site superviser does that?

So it took a few weeks but they chiseled it out AGAIN and this time, there was even more damage to the gunite, so I insisted they browncoat it, so we didn't have the wavy bumpy results this time. They did that. And they sent out a crew led by a guy who had been doing it for 30 years and Shane and I sat, literally, in patio chairs at the edge of that spa all day long.

It's perfect now. :)

If I had to do a pool again I'd hire Elite without question, and I'd advise to just make sure you are there during critical times - gunite, deck pour, plastering. "There" by meaning not just home, but watching and speaking up.

• coryp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that's what we've heard from our other friend who used elite... nothing but good things. it's funny, we have shane as well to oversee our pool (i think there are only two main guys who do it). the kerber only comment may or may not be different now. i was indirectly told to go find whatever color i want, regardless of the brand and they were all about the same price for mini pebble.

i was have actually been very comfortable with how things are going so far, this only helps. thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

cory

• coryp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ps, i actually saw his post in one of the "all pool pics" thread. his was one of the colors i had saved in my "i want" list, but he didn't name the color that i know of. you wouldn't remember off hand or be able to email him to post it would you? his posting looked like it was way back in 04...

Here is a link that might be useful: rganno's pool

• snookums
    16 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have any idea what color he used and it doesn't look like he posts here anymore. I never had any contact with him outside this forum.