Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar Pool Pump

Posted by cnr1089 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 10:53

Anyone ever use a Solar Pool Pump (such as the one on this page http://www.sunrayus.com/)?

The idea sounds good. There isn't enough information (or I haven't dug in enough) on the page to see if it makes sense (real price of the unit), but if my pool pump can run from the Sun when available, why not?

What are the downsides? Does it switch to the grid when there isn't enough sun?

I live in the Northeast, so I understand the sun isn't like it is in Cali or Arizona, but any little bit will help. I am all for long term investments that will pay off (and make me feel less guilty about running my pool).

Thanks,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar Pool Pump

Based on what they say your rate of return is, I would say them must be at least 5K or better. I am sure there is some extensive install as well.

Not sure what electricity costs in your neck of the woods, but it very greatly around the country, so your ROI would very greatly. Here we have off peak rates at 6 cents so it might take 10 years or more to recover the costs.

They are working their numbers off a single turn of your pool. This would not be strong enough for an infloor system, or cleaner.

IMHO you would be better off with a variable speed pump like an Intelliflo. You can cut your costs down tremendously.

Unless you are one of those who believes all the hype and wants a hug from a Polar bear. (cant believe that commercial)

o
RE: Solar Pool Pump

I have used solar powered swimming pool pumps before. I was amazed at the results. The location I installed them at was Hawaii, so the results and the savings were much greater in that location than they would be in your location. The pumps are expensive and the pv panels are even more expensive. Check with sunray about the current tax rebates that would help defer the costs. They are the best solar pumps available today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here