Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_texas

New Pool Build in The Woodlands

amy_texas
14 years ago

We have narrowed the builders down to basically two after several meetings with various builders. Hopefully it won't be long before we sign on the dotted line.

Comments (59)

• coog64
    14 years ago

Congrats... This looks familiar (see link). Finished in June and my main regret is not going with the LED lights, which we will have to due later I'm sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: finished pool pics

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

The efficiency of Kelly and other Texas builders is very impressive. It doesn't matter if its raining on Sunday, they keep working. The inspectors are even on time.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

This is our Tahoe Blue
    {{!gwi}}

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

What light is in the pool?

Scott

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Scott,

If you are talking to me, it's a single IntelliBrite.

I thought I needed two but the PB and wife said one, so one is what we ended up with.

I still think two would have been better but the wife likes the one. Who am I to argue????

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg, I still think that your pool looks awesome. We love our upgraded Intellibrite and we turn it on every nite.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg, thanks for the pics. Is the Intellibrite a color light or is it white? If it is color, which color is it on in your picture and what do you think of the other colors with your Tahoe Blue?

• nosabe
    14 years ago

Paradigm, have you always had the fire bowls? Are they gas-plumbed or standalone?

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rain, rain, go away...

Because of the rain the last day we had any activity was last Thursday. The guys finished the coping and the tile; still have to complete the rest of the spillway and construct the waterfall.

• travis_turner
    14 years ago

Amy,

I was able to take some pics. They aren't the best pictures because either I stink at taking pictures at night, or my camera sucks. But I think you'll get the idea of the Tahoe Blue with colored lights.

Travis

Here is a link that might be useful: Tahoe Blue w/ Colored Lights

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Travis, thanks for the night pictures. I think I am 95% sure that Tahoe Blue is what I am going to put in; I just need to see one in person first before I make that decision final.

• travis_turner
    14 years ago

Kelly took us to see a tahoe blue in magnolia....but if you want to take a drive to Huntsville, let me know.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Little bit of a disappointing day...

I went home to check on the stone work and everything seemed to be going well. The guys were there to finish the spa spillway and put the flagstone on the outside of the spa. I went back to work and then when I got home I saw that the flagstone on the outside of the spa (a lot of it was a bright orange) didn't blend well with the coping or my tile (which is not orange). See for yourself in these pictures...

I called right away and the builder said that the guys could fix when they come back out. Whew! I was relieved. So I took a flathead screwdriver and popped the orange stone off since it had yet to dry.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After almost one week, the guys came back to put the smaller base rocks along the waterline. Wednesday they began to build the waterfall. It got dark so they didn't finish. They were supposed to come back today but instead it is raining. Rain, rain, go away...

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Hopefully we can put this sour weather behind us and make some forward progress before Christmas. Weeks and weeks of rain always make it very difficult to move forward on the new construction projects.

See ya,
    Kelly

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Come on Kelly, I am in the middle of a blizzard. Now that's and excuse. Over a foot so far today and another 6" expected tonight.

And I have a spa call on Monday!

Heheh

Scott

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now that we have had a couple of nice days, the waterfall and weeping wall are completed, spa is done, and the deck forms are down. We are thrilled with the look of the waterfall. The deck will hopefully get poured the first of the week and Pebbletec is scheduled for the Monday after Christmas.
    Here are a few pics of the work that went on yesterday.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The deck is getting poured today! Yea! Maybe it will be an end to all the dirt/mud we have been living with for the past month. Here are a couple of pictures this morning before the guys showed up.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pebbletec guys got done this morning before the rain moves in...yea!!! It looks great! Can't wait to see it after it is acid washed and water is in it. We went with Tahoe Blue and added the seashells.

We also had gutters installed this morning. Just waiting on the stone guys to finish the inlays in the deck and put the flagstone on the firepit.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have water!!! It finished filling this morning. The stone guys also showed up this morning.

• ajones
    14 years ago

OH MY, that looks fantastic!!!! i can't believe that your water is so clear already. i especially like the overflow of your spa with the smaller stone, i think now after looking at ours that we would have gone that direction. great choice on the PT as well. Congratulations!!!!!!!

• travis_turner
    14 years ago

I second that. Our pool was pretty green for close to two weeks. Looks awesome.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! We are absolutely thrilled at how it looks. Here are a few more pics now that we had the pool start up.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Be stingy using the W/F and bublers for the 1st months. It tends to raise the pH. The fresh plaster will do that too for the next several months. This is a critical time for your finish. Keeping the pH down to 7.2 to 7.3 will prevent scale. Getting it off new finishes stain free is sometimes more difficult.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper.

Scott

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Scott's absolutely correct.
    With a low 7's PH, frothy water features will drop your Alkalinity slowly and raise the PH noticeably.

Amy,
    Congrats, the new pool looks AWESOME!!!
    I'll try to get over as soon as I can.
    If the gas company gets there before I do, call me on my cell and I'll expedite hooking up the firepit.

See ya,
    Kelly

• myredfiveo
    14 years ago

Your pool looks awesome! What are the dimensions of your sunshelf?

Thanks,

Todd

• ajones
    14 years ago

wow, you're all finished and you started after we did...................:) cold, snowy and rainy weather suks.

congratulations again on your pool. it's AWESOME!

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Todd,

The sunshelf is approximately 6'8" x 8'3". We also put an umbrella sleeve on it incase we want some shade.

ajones,

Crappy weather does suck. We had bad days here too, just not the snow. We were originally shooting for completion by Christmas, but hey, we made it by New Years so can't complain. Still little stuff to finish up on the pool but overall we are there.
    Now we are concentrating on the pergola and outdoor kitchen. We chalked out the lines for the kitchen yesterday.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It has been a while so I thought I would post a few pictures that I took last night. We had a couple of guys help us over the weekend laying sod, planting 2 mexican fan palm trees, relocating a sago palm, building a rock wall for the planting bed and forming a flagstone sidewalk over to the trampoline. This is just phase 1 of the landscape; the rest will have to wait.

This is the iron fence we had put in last week.

• phxownerbuilder
    14 years ago

pool looks great - really like your waterfall!

• dogue_lover
    14 years ago

Dogs look great... pool aint to shabby also.. great job!

• inthedrink
    14 years ago

Hey Amy, was wondering how you like your spa spillover. We love the look and want to do the same on our spa, but wanted to see how you like the sound and look when it's flowing over. Anything you'd change?

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

inthedrink,

Sorry so late in responding...haven't been here in a while. We love the spa spillover. Everyone that sees it for the first time always gives compliments. Love the sound and look of it when it's flowing over. Wouldn't change a thing about it!

• ryan0424
    14 years ago

I love your pool. We are building this month in League City. Can you tell me how high your waterfall is at its highest point?

Thanks
    Mark

• inthedrink
    14 years ago

Thanks Amy--good to know you still love it. We're going to do some copying...will post the pix when we get to that point. PB says the dig is this Friday...crossing our fingers (and everything else) that the rain stays away.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ryan0424,
    It is kind of hard to measure since it does not go up in a straight line. Best estimate is 3-3.5 feet. I actually would have guessed it to be higher just based on looks.

inthedrink,
    Let me know when you start posting pics; would love to follow the progress.

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thought I would post a few recent pics since the landscape has greened up now...

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

That bar area is bad to the bone.

• mudn
    14 years ago

Agreed... I'm ready to order up a drink!

• txmomoftwo
    14 years ago

LOVE THIS! Where did you get your bar stools? Pool looks awesome. Love the fleur de lis gate too! Originally from Louisiana so I tend to gravitate toward everything that reminds me of home. :)

• ryan0424
    14 years ago

Thanks amy

You can see my pool under (new pool league city)We got 3 tons of rock. I hope that is enough. I love your pool. You will have so much fun this summer.

Mark

• ryan0424
    14 years ago

sorry league city new pool

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mark,
    Our waterfall and weeping wall is about 5 ton (that's what they said after it was done).

txmomoftwo,
    Thanks! I ordered the bar stools online. The brand is Caluco and the line is Victoria. They are pretty pricey so I shopped them hard.

• inthedrink
    14 years ago

Hey Amy,
    Will definitely post the pictures if we EVER get some. 3 weeks since they first dug and hit water. We've been draining ever since. Got most of the deep end done today and then the rain started coming down hard around noon. I think God is trying to tell us we really don't need a pool. I'm going to respectfully disagree. Prayers please that tomorrow will bring on a completed hole in the ground. Ugh.

• sharoncbrn
    13 years ago

Amy,
    I love your pool. Kelly is buiding our pool now, things have been great. We are doing similar features in our pool, do you remember the name of your watertile? Really confused what to do, we wanted to have some blue in the tile but I am worry it might be too busy looking... Help!

• andyspool
    13 years ago

Amy,
    Your pool is beautiful. We are building a pool in The Woodlands (the dig is next week). I like your flagstone coping, can you remember the name of the flagstone?

• amy_texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andy,

Congrats on the pool! Very exciting! The coping is Oklahoma flagstone - medium. I chose the pallet and looked for one that had nice variation in colors with no orange (didn't want the orange look).

• to-the-beach
    13 years ago

Amy,

Is the covered area over your bar solid or slatted? We also want a TV outside but are afraid if we go we a slatted roof (ie. pergola) there may be too much glare. Also, what type of TV did you use?

Thanks,
    Kelli

• sharoncbrn
    13 years ago

Amy, I have a private question for you. Can you send me an email, sharoncbrn@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.

• swtsae
    10 years ago

I realize this post is quite old but if Amy_Texas still happens to check this forum would you mind sending me an email at swtsae@gmail (dot) com, I have a question about your pergola. Thank you!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus