Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing Pool that hasnt been maintained

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 5:11

I have a smaller inground pool about 16X32. When I opened it this spring I had a water leak and was loosing water faster than normal. So I shut it down and planned to repair it when I had time. Well that never happened and here it is time to close it up. I shocked it a little throughout the summer to keep misquitos out, But it never got totally algie free. Would you close it up as I always do and worry with it next year? Or would you try to shock it run the filter and reduce whatever you had growing in there? When I do shock it I use 8 gallons of liquid chlorine if its not very bad. If its very bad I use 10-12 gallons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing Pool that hasnt been maintained

I would just blow out the lines and equipment and then cover it.

If you only lose water when the pump is on, the leak in either at the equipment pad or its in the return lines somewhere. If its always losing water, keep an eye on it and don't let it drop more than a foot before adding replacement water to keep the pool full or just under the water line tile, if you have them.

If you're using that much liquid at one clip, you are over dosing. If you are using it at a steady pace to maintain a shocking level based on chems levels, good.

Scott

o

What I mean by shocking with 8-10 gallons is if it gets away from me and turns green. The way it is now it has a lot of algie growth in it so I would do a 10-12 gallon shock let the pump run, backwash etc.

o

What I am saying is raising the FC level too high is just as problematic. Use the pool calculator to determine how much you should be adding at a given period. Just dumping it in in that quantity in a pool your size can create other issues, both for the water and the pool's components.

Scott

o

Where do you find the pool calculator? I always walked in the pool supply place and took their advice. Of course they are wanting to sell more product.

o

www.poolcalculator.com is the one I use. For my Android phone, I use Simple Pool.

Scott

o

Thanks! Learned something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here