Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Cal New Pool Build - Questions

Posted by ccp (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 1:37

I am just starting the planning process for a new pool build in Southern California. I am thinking about doing a 40x20 pool with a 7x9 irregularly shaped spa, raised bond beam in the back.
Any suggestions on size of pool, baja steps, how many jets and the placement of jets.
I am open to any other feedback as well. The pressure is on now that I get to design and build my own pool. I want to do my best to think of everything, so that when it is done I won't have any regrets.
I appreciate your input and have enjoyed reading so many of your opinions and advice.

Thanks.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Cal New Pool Build - Questions

We live in SoCal as well ccp with a pool about the size you plan. Concerning the location of jets, that's a good question to which doubtlessly somebody more knowledgeable than I will respond.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,18168,26637,26638,27404&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=swimming+pool+jets&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=swimming+pool+j&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=80955853b31a6510

We have 4 jets two at each end. However the ones at the skimmer end were blocked by my predecessor, suggesting that for some reason they didn't help move flotsam toward the skimmer port as you might suppose they should

Other than that: Suggest orienting the pool so your prevailing wind helps in that respect

Living near Victorville we warm it in the summer using blue bubble cover which on the hottest days we roll up about 3 hours before swim. It has to be replaced once or twice a year at a cost over $100, trimming it to fit each time but guessing this method ultimately cheaper than gas or solar

......an example how primitive pool technology in a day and age when sending rockets to the moon got to be so so easy they quit doing it 42 years ago. If the Pool Establishment were like aerospace they'd all be built in standard shapes with covers ready-made to fit each one

We use no cover in winter to better observe water color and to more quickly spot the larger creature otherwise slipping in at the edge though I feel guilty about drowning all those insects so we've considered a transparent cover but rejected the idea as suggesting more trimming as well as the possible need for a second reel

Glad to discuss other aspects as dalehileman@me.com

o
Why no response

Aghast at the lack of response I hope this post might bubble up your OP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here