Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elemento911

Question About Plaster Job

elemento911
10 years ago

Hey Everyone,

We recently had a pool put in but the plaster job has us a bit concerned and I was hoping someone on here might be able to clear things up for me. We've overall been pleased with the craftsmanship but the plaster seems to have taken on a marbelized look. We're just at the two week mark since the plaster was done and we've been brushing diligently. I'm not sure if this look will change over time but the marble spots in the pic don't seem to be brushing away like the plaster dust was. Any tips on whether or not this is normal (its med-dark gray plaster) or indicative of a possible bad plaster job would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Lance

Comments (6)

• elemento911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess in all fairness this picture was taken at night obviously with the light on so this really makes the lighter areas stand out but they are still noticeable during the day. ;) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

I've never seen pool plaster or flooring or large colored fountain made with colored concrete or derivative that does not mottle. In my case, the only exception was a small fountain, 10 gal, that was uniformly brown. Otherwise, mottled. I had the same experience with the pool. I called 3 plaster mfrgs and their explanation was that the more color pigment in the plaster, the more the possibility for mottling, My main concern was it being improperly mixed or applied. NONE of the mfgs said that was cause, even the one that claims applicators must be certified before they can apply product. The people seemed intelligent and good communicators, so I accept their explanation and decided to live happily with mottling. Had I chosen white plaster or white or gray with colored pebbles, it wouldn't have been an issue. Blue is where mottling comes up. Not an expert, just a residential pool owner.

• elemento911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks a lot for the info. You had the exact same concern that I had and that's whether or not it was indicative of a bigger problem like proper mix, etc. I'm glad to hear that your experience with mfgs all pointed in the same direction and that its not a defect per se and just really aesthetic. To be honest, my wife and I kind of like it ,at least how it looks like the daytime :) , so we'll likely do the same and just live happily with the mottling. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank again.

• lilsophie
    10 years ago

We are doing a small pool remodel in a month. We are getting med grey plaster. We knew it mottled, but I'm a little more concerned now. I hope we like it.
    Can you show a pic of your pool in the daytime?

• elemento911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lilsophie,

I try to get a pic in the daytime and post it up. I can tell you though that its almost impossible to see in the daytime since the light reflects through the water and sort of camouflages it. The water color itself is beautiful and the case above with the lights on and no movement in the water is worst case scenario. If I were to do it again or when we end up having to replaster I'll likely go with a pebbletec product as there seems to be a lot less variation in the overall colors there (althought I dont have first hand experience).

-Lance

• lilsophie
    10 years ago

Thanks I look forward to another picture from you.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!