Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New pool proposal - what am I missing?

Posted by hockeydad817 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 21:33

I've never had a pool before. We're about to sign with a PB. Looking for feedback on what I may be missing.

24x38 custom design gunite pool
Depth 3' - 8'
set of shallow end steps w/ 5' bench
deepend swimout
6" band of frostproof tile
1000 sq ft Exposed Aggregate decking
Upto 3 days of excavation
1 Load - 20 tons of 1.5" stone
Cantilever deck edge
4 hours backfilling & grading deck area
2 loads processed gravel sub-base
Pentair 4030 Cartridge filter
Whisperflo 1.5 hp pump
Polaris 3900 w/ booster pump & electrical
4 return inlets
dual anti-vortex main drain suction
2 skimmers
Goldline salt system & initial salt
Floor recirculation system - 3 heat mode
MasterTemp 400K BTU Natural Gas heater
Upto 75' of electrical wiring and connection from service panel
Upto 30' of plumbing between filter & skimmer
One underwater light

I'm already aware that fence & water for pool are not included.

What additional "hidden" costs are involved.

Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New pool proposal - what am I missing?

hockeydad817,
Must be in Buffalo with that much rock. Looks like a pretty complete list. Any fencing or alarms required by the local agency? Repair of sprinklers or landscaping?
Is the gas line included?
Good luck.

o

Unless the builder is giving you a longer than three year warranty, I am confused as to why the Goldline salt cell and not a Pentair Intellichlor.

A 1.5 HP pump is more than you need. I suggest dropping to a 1 HP or even a 3/4 HP.

Is 75' of electrical enough?

Is 30' from the skimmer and the 75' of electrical going to let you put the equipment pad where you want it?

You didn't mention the gas for the heater. Will it be natural gas or propane? How far is that from the meter if it's natural gas?

More details are needed about the pool light. What's described is very generic. The major manufacturers all give an extended warranty when a filter and pump and any other major devices are purchased at the same time, usually three years versus 1 year. Putting in a Pentair branded light just makes sense.

How thick is the gunite on the floor and walls?

How thick is the bond beam?

What size rebar is to be used? Normally, this expressed in eighths of an inch and quoted as #3 or #4 rebar. It's also good to know how many inches, on square, the rebar is laid out in.

The pattern used to reinforce the bond beam (the top foot or so of the shell) should be stated. The beam adds substantial and needed stiffness to the shell.

Have you decided what finish to use? Is it white plaster, colored plaster, Diamond Brite, a high aggregate like Pebble Tec, etc...

Scott

o

What about a pool bottom cleaner? (Kreepy Krawly)
Are you sure one light is enough? Is it LED?
What type of skimmers? Some are really cheap.
What tile? We thought we would be happy with any tile and then went to an upgrade.
Any step tile markers?
Diving board.?
A fountain on swim out to reduce algae build up?
Plaster, Quartz, pebble?

o

Oh, and an Easytouch remote system for pool equipment and light.

o

Thanks everyone - this is great feedback. I'm meeting with PB tonight and will discuss all of these questions/options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here