Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banana_fanna

marta - 'Jeff and Sharon's Pool'

banana_fanna
13 years ago

marta-

Here is a link of a pool I found on this forum several years ago that you might enjoy. The color scheme is what has inspired me all along. The overall 'theme' is a little more natural than what I'm looking for but the colors are beautiful, imo.

There are loads of pictures detailing all parts of construction which is interesting.

The Pebble color is Blue Granite and the tile is the Tondela blue that I really like.

Jeff or Sharon: If U R reading this, I hope it's okay that I keep posting links to your site. It's *that* beautiful. I think it's one of the main reasons people keep choosing Blue Granite around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff and Sharon's Pool

Comments (10)

• joanneswimsct
    13 years ago

Oh I remember this pool now; jaw droppingly gorgeous! Thanks for bringing it back to our attention!
    Joanne

• MPK 09
    13 years ago

Oh wow! Thanks so much for the link - what a beautiful pool. I hadn't even considered a blue tile and now I'll definitely have to think about it! Thanks, Marta

• mudn
    13 years ago

I studied this build in great detail and only wish we had more money to incorporate some of it's other elements. We did get the idea for the Tondela blue from this pool. Thanks Jeff and Sharon!

• huskyridor
    13 years ago

Even after 5 plus years I remember this pool vividly.
    It is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful poolscapes I've ever laid eyes on in a lifetime of building swimming pools.
    I'm certain that they're just as proud of the pool today as they were the day of turnover from the builder to them.

See ya,
    Kelly

• afnajs
    13 years ago

I'm blushing... :)

My thanks to all of you for the kind words, and by all means continue to share. The pictures are a great memory for Sharon and I, and I suspect a great resource for those just embarking on a build. When we started the process in 2003, it was impossible to imagine the end product, but once done, we knew there was something special about it. In the end, I believe it was the small details that really made the project.

I should upload a few new pictures. The landscaping has filled in nicely (block walls are all green now), the trees are bigger, the creeping rosemary hangs over the walls on both sides of the waterfall, and everything has weathered a bit. The fireplace is still, by far, the biggest attraction and is pressed into service as much as possible.

No radical changes yet. the original 2HP pool pump has been replaced with a Jandy ePump (variable speed) which is good for nearly $100 a month in reduced energy costs. All the other Jandy suff is still going strong. The original sAM lights have been replaced with Intellibrite (LED), and I've been experimenting with LED lights for some of the landscape lights.

Jeff

• braindead
    13 years ago

Jeff you and Sharon have an absolutely draw dropping outdoor oasis! It is obvious the amount of thought and research that went into this undertaking...thanks for sharing!

• llcp93
    13 years ago

I LOVE the velociraptor metal art!

• ccp
    13 years ago

Jeff and Sharon,

your pool is absolutely stunning! We are just beginning to build our pool in Corona, CA. Is there anything you would do different in hind site? Are you happy with the depth of your deep end? I love this forum and have gained so much knowledge over the last 4 weeks, but I also know I am only scratching the surface.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mike

• afnajs
    13 years ago

HI Mike,

No regrets and I can't think of anything I'd (we'd) do differently. I did add a high-pressure mist system to the patio last summer, and in hindsight, I wish I had done it sooner as it really makes the area comfortable during those 100+ deg days.

The depth of the deep end is good too, and I have a few pictures of people diving from the top of the waterfall and they all make it back to the surface with their teeth intact! ;)

I don't know the scope of your project, but here are a couple of pointers.
    1) you can't have too many landscape lights. I think my original estimate was something like 10 lights, my builder said I was off by a factor of 3-4x, and he was right. I think we started with something on the order of 30+ landscape lights (step, path, uplight, etc.) and added more later. If you want lighting, don't skimp as it makes a huge difference on the after-hours use of the space.

2) you can't have too many electrical (especially switched) outlets. Put them in each planter (where code allows), on the patio cover, near any table with umbrella, at the BBQ, etc. There is nothing so upsetting then to want power in a location after all the work is done. For example, I have a switched outlet at the top of each column of the patio cover. I use one to feed the lights installed on an adjacent umbrella, and the other for holiday lights.

jeff

• ccp
    13 years ago

Jeff,

thanks for the tips. Outlets is a great reminder. We put in a new front yard last year and added about 20 landscape lights in the front. The designer I am working with has been great and has been able to put my ideas in my head in drawing. Such a huge blessing. I will post our plan once I get it in the next week or so. I appreciate your feedback.

Mike