Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladoladi

Rip out perfectly good pool? Start all over again?

ladoladi
12 years ago

The question seems crazy, but here I am asking it...

When we bought this house a year ago, we knew the pool had to be re-surfaced because the marcite is pitted pretty badly in a number of spots. We managed to get the cost of resurfacing deducted from the cost of the house. Score! However, we later realized a lot of the grout around the waterline tile is in horrendous shape and the glassblock waterfall from the spa has mold growing inside of it, and on top of it, we've come to loathe the waterline tile. It's a Celtic symbol in Mexican Fiesta colors, and definitely does not go with our modern vision for the house. But that's pretty much all the pool REALLY needs.

As part of the re-surfacing, we've tacked on re-tiling the pool, converting to salt, and switching out the propane heater for natural gas. Total cost: about $12K, from the various quotes I've received. If it seems cheap, consider that I live in the middle of Nowhere, Florida.

But my SO hates our pool. It is a 25K gallon kidney-shaped pool built in 1990. It is neither suitable for swimming laps, which he would like to do, nor suitable for children, as it does not have one of those shallow wading areas so many of the newer build pools have. Additionally, the pool was built almost to the edges of the deck. On either side of the pool (narrow side) there is only about a 3' walkway. He hates all of this because we're on an acre and really could have a spacious pool deck.

Now, just as I was about to give the green light for the above mentioned job (resurfacing, retile, salt conversion, and gas conversion), my SO has thrown a wrench into our plans...

What if we tore out the existing pool, he asks. Tore it out, rebuilt it as a rectangular pool running east-west (right now it runs north-south) with room to swim laps and a wading area.

This sounds crazy to me. However, we are already going to be spending $12K on a pool that he might not really enjoy...

Finally, my questions: How much more expensive would it be to start new? Tear out the pool and surrounding deck and rebuild them? I should probably ask one of the pool companies that have given me quotes already, but I'm hesitant because it seems like such a crazy idea. Is it crazy? It seems crazy...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!