Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brentr_gw

Please send me Pics of Intellibrite Lights

brentr_gw
14 years ago

So we did a NO-NO and placed our pool light under a sheer descent which faces towards the house. I am considering an LED light for my pool. I have a 300w pentair # 78928500 and the pool light faces the house. The glare is bothersome so I am hoping that replacement with an LED would have less glare. I have a lens cover on it and a dimmer switch however I am still not happy with it. Please I would like all who have Intellibrite lights to send me pics so that I can see if the glare is cut down. These pics must be looking directly at the light . My email is vat-19@juno.com. I hope that I have explained properly. Any suggestions short of installing another light on the opposite side would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to look into my inquiry.

this is what my light looks like

Comments (26)

• landa_mac
    14 years ago

Have you seen this post?

Here is a link that might be useful: IntelliBrite vs. ColorLogic 4.0

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi landa mac, I have see that post however I was wondering how the intellibrite or a color splash G2 would compare to a standard pentair 300w incandesant light with a cover on it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

• landa_mac
    14 years ago

There will be much less glare with the IntelliBrite. They have a unique lens sitting in front of all the LEDs that reflects the light down into the pool.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

These are the closest pictures I have looking "directly at the light". It seems like it does have somewhat of a glare in the picture but to be honest, I have never noticed a glare at night.

It is an IntelliBrite.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg, can you post a pic with you directly across from the light using no flash? Imagine our screen room here your planter sits. Also can you post pics with some different colors? I was told that some of the colors are more subtle and may not put out as much glare.
    Thank you for your direction and support

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

I will try to get some night pictures directly across from the light...if it ever stops raining here.

• dingosurf
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg,

A little off topic, sorry, but what is the size of your pool, and do you feel the one light is sufficient? I am looking at 1 light in the center of the long wall for my 16 x 36 pool, and am wondering if that is enough.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

My pool is 32ft long and between 10 and 17ft wide depending on which end you are at. To me, the ends are too dark and I think 2 ligts would have been better. My wife and PB said 1 was enough and they both say it is properly lite.

Honestly, the light is seldom on so I am glad I didn't spend 700 more bucks on the big, expensive hole in the ground.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks paradigmdawg, I look forward to seeing your pics. Also I heard about an LED bulb that you can screw directly into my housing. It is a color splash. Have you or anyone out there have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

I have never heard about the screw in light but I know very little about pools.

Here are a couple of pictures. I have a pretty tall raised wall so I couldn't get at water level. Hope they help, I took pictures of 3 different light color changes.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paradigmdawg, the first light is what I will use to compare the pic I posted. I was about 14ft away from the light when I took the pic. I also have a blue lens cover and I have used duct tape to cover up the top half of the lens. I also did not use the flash. I do think that in this case the Intellibrite appears to have less glare. What are your thoughts???

Also, I found 2 companies that make LED screw in bulbs. These bulbs have the ability to change to different colors and even have changing patterns (light shows). Polaris makes one called Polaris D'Light and J&J Electronis makes one called Color Splash. I spoke to the J&J tech rep and they make a 2G model and a 3G model. According to him the 2G model is camparable to a 100w incandecent light and the 3G model is comarable to a 300w ( 2.5 times brighter) incandecent light and also is comparable to the Intellibrite. The price is about $300 and can be purchased at Pincha penny pools or on the internet thru dealers. These lights do not have special lenses like the intellibrite so I would have to assume that there is quite a bit of light shining out of the pool. I would hate to purchase this light and find out that I still have a lot of glare, however the price for an Intellibrite would be about $700 and this may have too much glare also.
    I would welcome any thoughts from all.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Yep, the first picture was taken from about 14ft away without a flash so it is likely the best to use. Looking at your picture and my picture, it sure seems like there is less glare but I am certain that pictures are not the best choice when deciding if it is worth spending another 300 bucks.

When I was taking the pictures I paid more attention to the "glare" of the lights and I still go with my original thoughts, there just isn't much glare and it doesn't bother me a all.

• landa_mac
    14 years ago

I would be wary of the screw-in LED lights. I have generally found these to be lacking in light output. None of these screw-ins use any sort of reflector so you are likely going to see "hot spots" all over your pool instead of one nice blended color. Don't believe me? Check out J&J's own website (link below). See the sparkly hot spots all over the pool in the picture? Also, the last time I looked at one of the J&J lights, I was very turned off by what I saw inside. What did I see inside? A PC fan! Yes, they use what looks like a 60 or 70mm fan to cool the light! No wonder the light is not UL approved.

Here is a link that might be useful: J&J

• landa_mac
    14 years ago

I also posted this on another thread here. I just found out that Pentair just released their IntelliBrite color landscape lights that can synchronize with their IntelliBrite Pool & Spa lights. This opens a lot of possibilities for pool landscapers. Has anyone tried these yet? I would love to see some real life pictures. There are a few examples in the brochure below but I always love to see real pictures on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: IntelliBrite Landscape lights

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay I had to take off the blue lens cover because the duct tape I had covering the top half was falling off. The sheer descent is running. As you can see the glare is very strong. This pic was taken with the flash in the off mode. The second pic is taken inside our screened room and again the glare is still bothersome. At least it is bothersome to me. Any ideas from all would be appreciated. I still have not made up mind what to do.

Pic taken from inside screened room

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for your input. I bought an intellibrite from ebay. I could not resist as the price was very very irrestible and very very right. Got it on friday and installed it yesterday. It is better than sliced bread. The colors and light shows are awesome and rich. How stupid I was not to have done this during my pool build. Everyone who has a pool needs to have some sort LED in their pool. It definately enhances and invites night time entertaining. I was very surprised to see no glare with the sheer descent on and very little glare with it off. I am going to add a second light switch placed in the screened room and I am going to look into upgrading to the Intellibrite light switch controller.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

I am glad it turned out so good for you!

• landa_mac
    14 years ago

Glad to hear it! I can't stress enough how much of a difference the lens and reflectors in the IntelliBrite make versus other lights I have tried. They do a great job of keeping the light in the pool (where it belongs).

• nosabe
    14 years ago

Did you install intellibrite into incandescent housing? DIY? When you get a chance, post pics of your new and improved lights. Thanks for your feedback.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nosabe, yes I installed the intellibrite into the incandecent housing? DIY with one of the pool builders assistant. It took about a couple of hrs. I had to get into the pool and it was a brisk 76deg but well worth it. The run in the conduit was about 80 feet and we had to cut into the pipe about half way because the wire snake was not long enough and it was hard pulling the wire due to many bends and the other ground wire that connects to the housing. Not a problem as the conduit was above the water level and we just put a splice in the conduit. I then put a parallel switch in the screened room as it is a big pain to go outside to turn and off the switch. I will be looking to install the intellibrite controller as this is easier to select the different light shows. I will post pics when I get a chance to take some night shots ( I keep forgetting because I am so excited about the lights and have been playing and getting mused to the different light shows)
    Hope this helps to all:)

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay this pic is with the intellibrite in the blue mode. The comparative pic is the first pic in this thread. I am hoping that you can appreciate less glare and the color is richer and deeper. I guess what I am trying to say is that the light is softer on my eyes. In other words when I look at the pool my eyes do not automatically look at the light as compared to when I had the incandecent light. I hope this helps and that you understand what I am trying to convey.

• ajones
    14 years ago

thanks brentr for the comparison. i think it makes a huge difference. i did notice in the first picture that your sheer decent appears to be on, would it be possible to take a picture with the new light and the decent on as well?

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajones, I believe you are correct. I will do so in the next couple of days. In the meanwhile I have a 300w pentair light with 80 ft of cord for sale. It was installed 2 mths ago and is in excellent condition. I also have the 4 light covers (blue, green, yellow, red) for sale. The light is over $200 new and the covers are $47 new . I will accept $150 for all plus shipping or best offer. I hope that I did not violate the rules of this forum :)

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajones, here is a pic with the sheer descent on and the light in the blue mode for comparison with the first pic. I hope that you can see a difference in the glare. The wife and I decided that we did place the light in the right place after all, because we would not be able to nearly appreciate the colors from sitting in the screened in sunroom. I hope this helps to all.

• ajones
    14 years ago

brentr, thanks again for posting the picture. quite a difference from the one you posted at the top. i'm sold, i will be going with two intellibrite lights in our pool versus the 1 500 watt light. thanks again for posting!

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajones, you will love the ability to have different light shows. We put on the light every night and select different light shows. We use our screen room 99% of the time so it is very soothing to look at the pool while watching TV. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner