Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of 20x 40 pool. Help!

Posted by hrunnergirl (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 16:54

Hi~
We have friends that have encouraged us to consider a play pool with 6 feet in the middle. We would like to be able to play volleyball. We are going to have a slide, no diving board. We have 3 kids ages 14 11 and 7 and can't decide what depth should look like...Also considering 3 6 going to 6 in the deep end.
Any thoughts/advice???
Thank you!
Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of 20x 40 pool. Help!

Hi hrunnergirl, we're just getting started and have opted to go with a traditional 3' to 8' depth. Some of our neighbors have the more shallow type pools (to 6') but we opted for the deeper deep end b/c we will have a lot of kids playing in the pool and want them to have the option to dive safely. I know we could keep our now 4-year old from diving for some years to come, but you never know so we're playing it safe. (Also, I like to dive every now and again!) good luck with your decisions - there are SO many!

o
RE: Depth of 20x 40 pool. Help!

For the play pool option, 6' in the middle is deeper than normal (from what I've read), might want to consider 5'6" max.

For the traditional shallow to deep pool, my pool is 4' to 6' over 36' in length. You need to consider the bottom slope over distance as you try to maximize either the deep or shallow end area.

Finally, this will depend on the area and homeowner's insurance, but you should check rates with & without slides and/or diving boards. In my area some insurance companies have threatened to cancel the policy if the diving board wasn't removed (bizarrely, rocks to jump off seem OK). Something to check on before committing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here