Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrunnergirl

Steps

hrunnergirl
13 years ago

Hi~

We are putting a pool in this Fall. We are leaning toward a 20x40. We are considering putting steps across the entire shallow end. The cost is an extra 3000. Has anyone else done this or have thoughts about it? I thought it might be a nice area for people to hang out and for little kids but on the other hand, it seems to take up a lot of space.

Thank you!

Heidi

Comments (7)

• MPK 09
    13 years ago

Hi again, have you seen any photos of sunshelves (also called baja shelves)? They're great for little ones to play on, and also can usually fit a chair or two if you just want to chill out and not be fully submerged in the pool. They are very popular on this site - that might be something to consider rather than the whole end of stairs.

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

"...steps across the entire shallow end. "

My Better Half and I have argued by what you mean. Forgive me Heidi for our unfamiliarity with standard pool configurations if indeed there is such but by actual count there are 42 permutations and combinations of geometry that would satisfy your description. I said you mean just 2 or 3 narrow steps hugging the wall clear around the entire shallow end but she says there's no such thing or if there is nobody does it

Or you could mean steps clear across the bottom, extending (a) lengthwise so that the lowest point is in the middle or (b) across, with the deepest point presumably at the top of the deep end. Naturally the number of such steps would depend upon their width, which (c) could even be different for successive depths

We have a 15 x 40 with three narrow steps at the end, the top and bottom steps shorter while the middle goes clear across matching its slight curvature. We often have guests with kids and this method seems perfectly satisfactory

The projected expense seems puzzling if not outrageous. In our case the steps are built into the fiberglass wall so cost nothing

Again Heidi forgive us for our ignorance in this realm but surely others closer to the problem will better respond

• hrunnergirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello~
    Thank you for your response. To clarify, the steps are on the shallow end. They do not wrap around but are just on one end. They are on the entire end so you would not be able to jump in to the pool but would have to step down. To clarify, they look like the steps on the ocean breeze pool by viking pools. Thanks!
    Heidi

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

I am not familiar with the pool you cite Heidi but I presume the steps are altogether conventional, they number 2-4 say 8 in. to 12 in. wide but in that case I don't understand why I couldn't jump in

Also I'm still curious why they should cost so much

• banana_fanna
    13 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I just read in another one of your posts the ages of your kids. You could end up with a couple of competitive swimmers and you might wish you had a designated lap lane. You'll miss out on that if you run those steps across the entire end.

Especially if you decide on a deep end, you'll lose valuable play space by putting in those steps. They'll look real pretty but won't be very functional.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

First pay no mind to Dale he is very superincumbent to us all.

That style step is very classic, and its main purpose is for looks. It always looks cool. Of course better in large pools then small.
    Yes you lose your lap lane, but how many of us actually do flip turns, or laps for that matter. It usually adds a little labor as you need to brush them all, and of course they are at a premium.

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

Pb I'm not sur whether I should be angry or flattered

http://onelook.com/?w=superincumbent&ls=a

while the "style" link has to do with high boots

But don't blame a fella if he's unfamiliar with pool jargon

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor