Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster in November or wait until Spring?

Posted by PoolMD123 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 16:26

We are starting our pool build soon. HOPEFULLY next week. I don't forsee the pool being done until the beginning-mid November. It is a gunite pool with white plaster. We were told we need to brush the plaster, keep the pool open for 30 days and run the filter to get out the plaster dust. It will be cold and leaf-y. The leaves could stain the plaster if we are not quick to get them off and out. Should we wait to plaster the pool in the spring? Has anyone done either-leave it undone or keep it open in the fall/winter to clean and brush? Are there other problems with not getting it done and plastered before the winter? We are in Maryland. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster in November or wait until Spring?

I would definitely wait. Have them get everything done that they can in the fall up until they spray the gunite. Then you can do plaster by April 1st. Sometimes earlier if winter is mild.

o

Wait, have everything else done, decking, grading, seeding, fence, etc. Plastering ins spring will run no risk of the plaster not curing properly or staining. The 1st 30 days are critical but so are the next so having it open in spring and being able to monitor it will ensure you the best finish

o

I am in central MD. When we did our pool, they waited to do the plaster until April of the following year. However, they did the gunite, coping and border before December. Let me tell you, even in April, when you're out there brushing the pool twice a day on a 50 degree day you will be cold and your hands will be numb. Enjoy the experience, it's a great time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here