Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scaling/Calcium on plaster

Posted by KWimberly (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 15:26

Hello. Our pool was finished in May of 2012 and has a pebble-sheen plaster finish. After a few weeks, we started noticing white splotches on the plaster of our pool. We were told to alter our water chemistry. It continued to get worse and worse as the months progressed. We are using a scale inhibitor weekly. We are now being told that most likely when the plaster was mixed, they added too much calcium and that calcium is now leeching out. We are being told they can drain the pool and acid wash off the calcium. Any draw backs to this?? Will it alter the color of my plaster? Any other suggestions?? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scaling/Calcium on plaster

How are you testing the water? Strips won't do it. What are you testing for?

Scott

o

We have one of the standard testing kits. But both my builder and the company that did the plaster don't think it is a water chemistry issue. They are taking full responsibilty. So I am just trying to get opinions on if this is the best or only way to fix.

o

that is the only fix ,short of re doing the finish

o

What would it entail to re-do the finish? Any benefit to doing that? The pool will be drained at this point anyway. Thanks.

o

chip the current finish and redo it

o

It's hard to know if water chemistry has anything to do with it or not without a full set of test results. By standard test kit do you mean the little one the PB gives you that just does pH and chlorine? If so, you should get a real kit like the Taylor 2006 and learn how to use it. That way you can monitor your calcium saturation index and know if you are contributing to the problem or not.

o

chip the current finish and redo it

o

I have the exact same problem with my pool. Both the pool builder and the pebble tec rep are denying that its the pool finish. They say its normal variation in the finish., I don't know what to think except that the white splotches were not there before and they are ugly and affect the color of my pool. Used to be beautiful slate bluie... now its aqua... kind of greenishlooking. Only thing I know for sure is ... 1. not algae, 2. calcium hardness is high everything else is in balance. Also the steps are now showing large 'crevices' which the pebble tec rep says they will polish out.... I am really upset with them and confused and not sure where to turn to resolve the white splotch problem. Any help wiould be appreciated!

o

I had pebblesheen installed last fall. Looked great for a few weeks, then we closed the pool. Opened this spring and there were white crystals and a greenish residue on the surface. The crystals have been removed, but the bottom still has some kind of a greenish substance. I don't think it's algae. It brushes off some but not entirely. I've just been keeping the ph low and brushing every few days in hopes it goes away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here