Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalehileman

New pool bulder

dalehileman
13 years ago

Though largely OT to Airborne�s query at

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg1012560913151.html?2

Geek above has provided sound advice, especially regarding structure though participants contemplating a new pool might conceivably find the following helpful. With your continued use of enhancement such as granulated or tab tricolor-- although the concept is still very controversial--an increasing CYA might require increasingly high FC, eventually requiring replacement of your water. But if you choose to drain instead of back flush to this end your insubstantial structure could collapse and anyhow years might elapse before you attain these straits

However there is one point I might emphasize though at risk of denunciation by the purists among us: Typically the skimmer port is located opposite the inflow so that in the absence of a cover flotsam is carried toward it. Therefore in order to minimize your power requirement if you choose a VF over the historically conventional 1+ hp pump this flow may be drastically slowed, especially given an opposing wind

For the experts among us who by now may be tearing their hair in frustration, "flotsam" means floating objects

The jury however is out on the relationship between pumping rate and flotsam capture. I've elicited a couple of opinions from actual users to the effect that the surface flow is adequate even at low flow but before each plunge they may have been skimming for many more hours than you plan. In my own case (1 hp) this flow is barely adequate in midsummer when I'm able to pull my solar cover a couple of hours just before swimming. A couple of other participants have stated that the VF set to slow might not clear the flotsam equally well. Of course you could set your VF to high flow over such a period but you might thus lose any saving in electricity

I have repeatedly at several pool forums been raked over the coals, torn limb from limb, and outright insulted by the "experts" whom one might conclude are sub-rosa representatives of the pool-equipment industry hoping to peddle their VF's. But for the life of me I can't understand what other reason might account for their resistance. Actually a switch to VF has been demonstrated to significantly reduce your electric bill and in fact I am considering it myself though not looking forward to the possible requirement for manually skimming

Just an incidental note which I hope doesn't somehow stir up a lot more resentment among the Regulars: If it's not too late you might consider orienting the new pool in such a way that encourages prevailing wind to help move flotsam toward skimmer port

Forgive me guys but can�t we make all these decisions simpler for the new guys instead of radically more complicated

In this connection I've also been roundly chastised though not specifically countered for suggesting that if you�re willing to skim by hand every day the simplest and by far cheapest move suggested by the testimony of one apparently unbiased GW�er might be simply to replace your 2000-w pump with a common basic LF (say 200-w) without other speed settings, microelectronic timers, etc. Even leave your old HF in place only energizing it for occasionally skimming, connecting your new LF around it for everyday application though this move might entail one-way valves and the like as I hold complications in disfavor

And by the way, again at danger of antagonizing the convention-worshiping fusspots and quibblers amongst us: While as I've mentioned the switch to VF is surely worth sober consideration there are perfectly serious authorities outside the box, and buttressed by my own experience, maintaining that the classical conventional pump in many installations need be run only two to three hours a day with perfectly satisfactory results, a factor that ought to be seriously considered before any extensive revamp

All right Scott and you other Admin guys, I agree I must be a really terrible person, an outright troll, intent on upsetting the Status Quo with unsubstantiated claims and wild speculation and so I will understand if you wish to ban me but nevertheless thank you most kindly for the many past opportunities to express my outrageous takes often inadvertently testing the religious zeal of the Pool Establishment

Comments (8)

• golfgeek
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

dalehileman,
    HUH?

• huskyridor
    13 years ago

!!!WOW!!!

What an incredible command of the English language LOL!!!

It's been 29 years since I got out of College, I guess I got about 3/4 of what you were attempting to get across to us.
    I sincerely hope that what I post for the membership is completely understandable as to the point I'm attempting to get across to the OP.

Trust me on this, the monolithic pool/water feature platform I described to Barbara will not collapse even if you drained it and left it unattended for a very long time.
    All it would do is fill up with nasty rainwater and show very poorly.

dalehileman,
    Your input to any thread that stays on topic is as equally important as anybody else's input.
    We all learn from everyone else's input, myself included.

See ya,
    Kelly

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Posted by huskyridor........
    What an incredible command of the English language LOL!!!

*******I am sincerely flattered. However I use Thesaurus.com just a whole lot, it's an ego thing

It's been 29 years since I got out of College,

******For me 58 years--coincidentally twice--making you by striking contrast a spring chicken

....I guess I got about 3/4 of what you were attempting to get across to us.

*****You'd have to be privy to all the antecedent animosity but your perplexity is understandable in view of my divagation but you've made my entire day if not the next week or so--until I'm again denunciated by the confrontational faction

I sincerely hope that what I post for the membership is completely understandable as to the point I'm attempting to get across to the OP.

******I'm sure it is. OP = Other People"?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/OP.html

....the monolithic pool/water feature platform I described to Barbara will not collapse......

******Wise choice of materials

dalehileman,
    Your input to any thread that stays on topic is as equally important as anybody else's input.

******Your kind support is a rarity in this vast megillah of unrestrained hostility though I often nonetheless find myself OT. For the sake of future generations I hope you have liberally bestowed your genes upon the rest of mankind

We all learn from everyone else's input, myself included.

**I am engorged by all sorts of dormant input restless for release so would be most happy to discuss nearly anything being dalehileman@me.com

• golfgeek
    13 years ago

huskyridor,
    That's very collegial.

dalehileman,
    Yes, you can divagate with the best of them!
    Do try to use some puncuation please.

• dalehileman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why thank you geek, I had been expecting this morning a vigorous frontal attack by the Upholders of Convention

I'll try to punctuate wherever its omission might confuse but please don't ask me to end sentences with a period as by actual calculation during my lifetime its omission will have saved me 3 billion, seven hundred forty-four million, eight hundred ninety-two thousand, five hundred twenty-one unnecessary keystrokes

• ncrealestateguy
    13 years ago

He's DRUNK...

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

He is so popular he has an Urban dictionary listing.

Here is a link that might be useful: dale hileman

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

PB that is epic.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations