Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Image gallery

Posted by dalehileman (dalehileman@verizon.net) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 15:03

Forgive me for my stumbling comprehension of The Algotithm but what's the "image gallery"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Image gallery

The link is at the top of the main page "gallery". It's a great place to post pics without discusions.

o

Thank you az but forgive me, I can't find the link to which you refer unless it's the one labeled "Photo Galleries". But that link appears also on other pages, leaving one to wonder why the "Gallery" link is necessary

o

Forgive me guys for bubbling this one back to the top but I still don't understand what Image Gallery is for and how to use it

o

1. Go to the top of this page and click on "Return to Pools and Spa Forum".
2. Find the Purple Star with "Messages" next to it. (If I scroll up all the way, it's half-way down my screen and above all the threaded discussions.) Once you find this look right after it and in the center of the screen. If you are in the discussion view, you should see "On Topic Discussions....Switch to gallery". If you are already in the gallery mode you will see "Image Gallery....Switch to discussions".

Whichever mode you are in when you start a new discussion, the forum will automatically put your post into that category. Most of us like to use "discussion" since we type questions or want comments and feedback. If you are just posting pictures and don't really want to "discuss" something and receive feedback/comments, then you would post into "gallery".

o

Thanks Fora for your tact and patience in the face of my relative ignorance concerning board algorithms. I know how to get back and forth from one window to another but once I'm in "gallery" mode I'm confused upon the following point:

Of course many of these threads contain photos as part of the post while others contain a ink to a photo, and of course that's expected. But it's those apparently containing neither photo nor link that puzzle me. Why would anyone post a message in "image gallery" containing no photo

o

"Why would anyone post a message in "image gallery" containing no photo"

Because people get confused as to which section they are in. ;)

Just look at the background color--when the background is purplish, you're in the gallery. When it's white, you're in this discussion forum.

o

"Because people get confused as to which section they are in. ;)"

That was my guess Rice. Perhaps there are other aspects of the P&S algorithm that might be improved to minimize the participant's confusion

But again thank you for your assistance and patiece

o

For instance the order in which posts are listed and the logic behind which ones are highlighted--stuff like that

o

Dale
The GW (garden web) forums, as to my understanding, is a product of iVillage, and not moderated by anyone on the posting on the forum. Everyone is independant of GW, be it a pool buidler, someone looking to build, someone in the process, etc, etc.
How things are set up in the GW community is set by GW, not anyone on the forum. This forum differs from others in this way, where an individual may set up a forum for certain topics and then moderate it.
The image gallery is, I believe, is a separate space for older threads of photos, could be a build I suppose, and seem to be saved for a longer period of time, where as the discussion forum (for discussing topics)only goes back so many months before the threads are archived (but I dont know where).
Highlighted threads to me seem to be the ones I have read, while currently logged on. If I log off, and log in another day, those threads are no longer highlighted for me.
I do not know anything about subscribing to threads on GW so that you can follow certain ones. I know you can on other forum, or be emailed responses to ones posts. But I dont think that works here on GW. I could be mistaken though.
BTW (By the way) did you mean ALGORITHM, rather than ALGOTITHM, as stated in your OP (original post) as in:

In mathematics, computer science, and related subjects, an algorithm (derived from the name of Persian mathematician al-Khwārizmī) is an effective method for solving a problem expressed as a finite sequence of steps. Algorithms are used for calculation, data processing, and many other fields. (In more advanced or abstract settings, the instructions do not necessarily constitute a finite sequence, and even not necessarily a sequence; see, e.g., "nondeterministic algorithm".)

I am not active enough on the many threads of GW to know the in's and out's of it all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here