Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Precast Concrete Coping

Posted by shmatbert (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 14:58

Hi Everyone - I have been lurking for a while, just joining today to ask my first question. We have started talking to pool builders. The kind of pool we like is a modern, formal, rectangle, reflecting pool look. Because the type of stone that would help us achieve the look we like is out of our budget, we were thinking of using precast concrete coping but the builders we have spoken with so far keep directing us toward a more natural cut limestone. Is precast concrete expensive relative to stone? I know there are many types of stone so I'm just wondering what the cost of precast concrete is on average and why a builder wouldn't want to use it. Thanks! Rebecca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Precast Concrete Coping

I had one PB tell me it was more expensive becaus eof the molds abut another told me it was around the same as flagstone. My wife and i are in the same situation going back and forth between the 2 looks.
I like the concrete because its clean and simple but the stone just adds the touch, ya know.

Hope i helped

o

A good precast is custom made for your pool. It should be 3 1/2 inches thick comes in different reliefs and colors and different types of finishes such as acid, smooth and travertine. There is precast coping that is not as thick or as custom that you can buy right off the shelf. That could be the reason for the same pricing as the flag stone. You should have your builder check into doing poured in place coping. It should be cheaper than the precast but more than the flagstone. It will give you the same look as the precast.

o

We like the rectangle reflecting pool look also, and were wondering about pre-cast concrete coping and concrete over sized square decking also. I believe it wouldn't have to be sealed if we did a saltwater pool. I also read it may be less costly. True?? In pics I have found, the concrete looks like a nice look...but why have 2 PBs not referred us to it immediately??

shmatbert - did you use the concrete coping -- do you like it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here