Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
russrimm

Solar covers?

russrimm
16 years ago

I'm in Houston TX, my water temperature is currently 67F. I have a 400,000 BTU heater. Other than once or twice a year, I don't plan on heating my pool (for cost reasons). However, I do plan on using the spa as much as possible.

My question is - is getting a solar cover for the winter worth the money, for both the spa and the pool? Right now i'm just emptying my polaris bag of leaves regularly (fall is here!). If I put a solar cover on the pool/spa would it save a good chunk of money when heating the spa? All the leaves would fall on the solar cover, I'm guessing you just sweep them off the top every so often?

Comments (12)

• russrimm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

P.S. I came across these, they look very interesting. Anyone tried them?
    http://www.solarsunrings.com/

• gorilla_x
    16 years ago

Normal covers generate little, if any BTUs... they are used to prevent heat loss thru the pool's surface.

I've never used Solar Sun Rings, but I just read up on them... if they really do generate 21,000 BTU per day per ring, than tht is a lot of BTUs. a 4 x 12 solar panel will generate about 48000 BTUs per day. 1 day is defined as 10 hours of sun light.

-G

• gorilla_x
    16 years ago

About covers generating BTUs... they do. I meant when used only at night for heat retention when the pool has another type of heater.

-G

• jennifer_in_clyde
    16 years ago

We've used the sun rings all summer. They really do hold the heat in at night - and coupled with our solar panels kept us nice and warm this summer.

My big compliant with them is that they really blow around, tend to lose air and seem to need a lot of maintenance. We found a guy on ebay who is selling "plans" for how to make a stronger version of a sun ring - really solar cover material suspended in a aquapex ring - we paid $10 for the plans and just 2 weeks ago finally made the rings - which are great!! All the benefits of using the solar rings (we have an odd shaped pool so this is easier than a full cover for me to take on and off and I think it's more attractive), they still hold in the heat...and they don't blow around (we have a LOT Of wind at our house) - I'm really happy with this version of the solar sun rings.

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the ones you made? I am guessing you seal the aquapex eliminating the need for inflation?
    Boby

• jennifer_in_clyde
    16 years ago

I don't have any - but I'll try to take them to post. You use these double ended barbs that hold the aquapex into a cicle (looks an awful lot like a hula hoop!) so no inflation needed, nor any sealing - between the hollow pex and the solar material they float perfectly, we've even had some heavy rain with them on the pool and no problems.

• russrimm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jennifer,

I'd like to see these photos as well. I can't seem to find the plans on ebay.

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

Here is the link to the plans on ebay

Boby

Here is a link that might be useful: floating solar disks

• vsteimle
    16 years ago

One of the biggest advantages about these covers vs. others is their convenience. I distribute products to one of the largest swimming pool builders in the nation and so I am constantly looking for the best ones. I was given some from a vendor over a year ago and I thought they seemed hoakie at first until my wife said how much easier they were to take on and off as opposed to a traditional bubble cover. They are also much easier to store away after the swim season than other covers. One easy way to do that is hang them on a closet rod for clothing. You can pick up the brackets and rod at any hardware store and install them in your garage or on the side of the house. The key to using these effectively in regards to wind etc. is to not over-inflate them.

• russrimm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where do you get the double ended barbs and aquapex?

• jennifer_in_clyde
    16 years ago

We ended up ordering the Pex on line...I'll see if I can find the link of the place we ordered from (or just search for Aquapex - there is a pex superstore that comes up and they had great service!) - we bought the barbs at Lowes.

• russrimm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did find the auqapex super store, where did you get the solar material, and what do the barbs look like?