Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mass suicide by moths

Posted by dalehileman (dalehileman@verizon.net) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 14:11

We don't use a cover during the winter so I can better monitor water conditions but hence drown quite a bit of wildlife, largely insects and a few lizards. I rationalize that I might otherwise miss something more threatening, as a drowned dog or cat having slipped around its edge, and I do attempt a rescue of anything still living

However every few years we experience an irruption of moths--thousands every day for as long as a week--and though first thing in the a.m. I do scoop up those still fluttering around before I fire up the pump to collect the rest in the skimmer, I still feel guilty

1. Why do they do it

2. Can I assuage my guilt by arguing (a) they must also use lakes and streams in the same way and therefore (b) isn't this an evolutionary phenom to their ultimate advantage perhaps in limiting their numbers

3. In what other ways might one deal with wildlife, for instance a transparent cover though (a) in my lifetime wouldn't it have cost thousands of dollars to replace each year as with the blue bubble solar cover and (b) wouldn't the two reels interfere with one another

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mass suicide by moths

Try this,
Maybe it will keep the moths from drowning in your pool, and help you with your guilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moth deterrent

o
RE: Mass suicide by moths

Maybe they have read your posts on this and many other forums and said "I give up"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here