Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jotx_gw

Plaster or Diamond Brite

jotx
16 years ago

I live outside of Houston and after meeting w/several pool contractors have decided to go w/Platinum Pools. They were very knowledgeable and I felt very comfortable.

Anyway, I don't want pebbletech but he said that they have had problems w/Diamond Brite and that they had a poor warranty. That the quartz will wear off and the warranty will not pay for the replaster only replacing the quartz or something like that. He said that they had no problem installing Diamond Brite but he wanted me to be aware of some complaints they have had. Anyway, they also don't use color plaster because they have had problems with them. He recommended white plaster or pebbletech.

Has anyone had Diamond Brite for 5 or more years and have they had problems? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! My children have been wanting a pool for several years and we are all so very excited that it is finally going to happen!

J -

Comments (24)

• jim_in_delray_fl
    16 years ago

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but poolmd, since you've installed so many...is there a favorite Diamond Brite color out there? We'll be getting ours next week, and plan to use Super Blue....but Cool Blue is another option we like. Any opinions on favorite colors? By chance are there some good pictures out there?

Unfortunately, SGM's website (sgm.cc)is really poor for photos of the different Diamond Brite colors. We're also trying to avoid the darker colors, as heat retention is a huge issue here in South Florida. (Midnight/Tahoe/French & Verde won't work for us.)

Thanks!!

• teppy
    16 years ago

let me chime in here. I have to say that poolmd has given me the most beautiful "recipe" for diamond brite for my pool. Its a mixture of french gray and verde. They will be doing my finish by tomorrow. I can't wait to see it when its finished. I have been looking around to make sure that I don't see another color that I like better, but have not found one. I have only found another one that I like as much and it looks so much like the combo he gave me. Its a pebble tec color called tropical breeze. Thanks again poolmd for the photos.

• poolmd
    16 years ago

Jim,
    Our favorite color is blue qtz. The aggregate is smaller (meaning the size of the qtz) and finish is really smooth,but you still get that beautiful blue release after exposure.And over time it gets better looking,as it exposes more of the aggregate.Also,being a white background, you get the best results if you have colored lights,as they reflect better on the white finish.
    Teppy,we did a pool tuesday with that blend again and it is awesome!!

• muddy_water
    16 years ago

I have replastered all my pools for several years useing only Diamond Brite IMO it is a great product when applied correctly.

• zarbiya123
    16 years ago

Do a search on here for diamond brite - you'll find a lot of pictures. We have cool blue and a photo of our pool is on here somewhere too...

• jim_in_delray_fl
    16 years ago

Thanks zarbiya123....I did try to do a search before posting, and found some pics with Diamond Brite, but none with Super Blue. Anyone out there with that color?

Jim

• jotx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of your feedback!! I am very nervous and overwhelmed about the entire pool process. I'm sure I will be asking many more questions and appreciate all your expertise and input!!

J -

• tcupp
    15 years ago

We put in a pool last Aug. with Cool Blue in pool and spa and Pearl on beach entry. The beach entry looks great, but the rest of the pool and some of the spa have streaks and track marks. The pool company gave it another acid bath. We brushed and brushed trying to remove the "cream" coat to expose the color. The pool looks no different. The pool company does not want to do another acid bath. We paid $5600.00 for the Diamond Brite and are not satisfied. Any advice?

• lindamarie
    15 years ago

I am in the middle of a pool renovation and I am not happy.

I had wanted Diamond Brite because a GW memember had told me that she had her pool in Diamond Brite 7 years ago and it still looked like new.

But I could not find a pool company to do a Diamond Brite pool renovation here in MS. Southern Grout and Mortar willnot sell Diamond Brite retail.

I would love to hear from poolmd about the sloppy application of my FL Stucco Marcite. I am at wits end and do not know what to do.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I had my pool built in 1993 with diamond brite and never had any problems and still looks as good as the day it was put in except for 2 stains from nails that fell from my roof when the hurricane came through in 2004.

• poolmd
    15 years ago

lindamarie, can you explain what issues you are having?

• tcupp
    15 years ago

Poolmd-
    Do you have any advice in getting our diamondbrite to look uniform. It has streaks in the bottom and down the sides of the pool. The pool is less than one year old. The PB did another acid bath.

• lindamarie
    15 years ago

Poolmd

Did you see my post on sloppy marcite?

My pool is a mess. The plastic job is sloppy with swirls and ridges. I determined that the bottom had only 1/4" down to paper thin marcite applied. I got him to agree to replaster the bottom. He cut grooves in the new plaster about 5" apart. He put a thicker layer in the deep end yesterday. It looks somewhat better, but still sloppy.

I cleaned as much of the plaster off the decking and brick coping with ascid, wire brush and pressure washer. It still looks bad.

I am doubtfull that this plaster job will last long. I am already planning to look for a reputable company next time.

I am still looking into a alternate purifying and cleaning system.

• starsinmyeyes
    14 years ago

I am planning to have my pool refinished and have had several pool refinishers out to bid on the pool. I am very confused. Some say it only needs an acid wash, others insist it needs pressure washing, two others say it needs sandblasting otherwise it will have pop-offs down the road. The pool was built in 1978 and never been refinished, it's in bad shape now.
    I've had quotes on magic colors with 3m quartz and bondtite and peeble sheen also one quote with diamond brite. I am leaning toward diamond brite but am not sure about the ability of the contractor or if I should insist on getting it sandblasted. Would appreciate any comments. I live in the Orlando, Fl area. Thanks...

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

A lot depends on the condition of the existing finish.

If it is generally rough everywhere and there is no delamination, then a second finish coat may be appropriate and plaster based finishes such as Diamond Brite or 3M Quartz and be directly applied.

If the surface is smooth but badly stained, a bond coat is a good idea to give the new finish something to grab and hold onto.

If your existing finish is delamminating, already a second coat or you are going with a Pebble finish, a chip out of the existing stuff is suggested. The use of a bond coat may be up to the finisher but is recommended.

The use of a bond coat should not add significantly in terms of dollars. It is usually just rolled on, dries quickly, and can be plastered over in an hour or so in most cases. If a chip out was done, often the same crew will perform this and the finish crew will come in the next day to plaster.

Hope this helps.

Scott

• starsinmyeyes
    14 years ago

Thanks Scott. Most said they would use a bond coat, this was just to prepare the pool before the bond coat is applied. I believe it's the original finish, surface is a little rough, white kind of chalky. The water level is even with the shallow end, and the water in the deep end is mostly black. So there's a leak, I'm thinking around main drain and there's just so much muck in there it's retaining the water. Who knows what could be lurking in its depths. There was a flat roof that ran in between the roof of the house and the plastic roof covering the pool, so the 2 A-frame roofs dumped everything on the flat roof in the middle, when we had a lot of rain, the flat roof ripped off from the house roof and all the leaves and dirt that was on the roof went into the pool. Not that the pool was pristine to start with, but it did add a definite darkness to it.
    Sorry I digress, do you think as long as they do the bond coat the surface that they apply it to is fine?
    Thanks,
    Barbara

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Bond coat usually dries very quickly.

Scott

• Dcecil
    12 years ago

I also have a Diamondbrite finish but the pool is ~18 years old. It has begun to get the streaks approx 5 years ago. What can we do to get the pool to look "new" again. Thank you

• sbollag
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I know this thread is years old, but Teppy, if you're still around, would be very interested in a picture of the DB blend that you ended up with (as well as how you feel about the DB after almost 10 years).

Generally interested if others have recent input re DB or other finishes - we are in the midst of new pool construction and trying to figure out surface finish. We had originally intended to go with just regular old white plaster (marcite), as that is what we have in our pool in Florida that was built in the early 80s and has never been refinished and is still in decent shape. But now we have learned, and keep hearing, that marcite is not the same as it used to be (mainly b/c they can no longer use asbestos in the mix) and doesn't hold up anything like it used to, so we are thinking to avoid that.

We're thinking probably an aggregate of some sort, but want a pretty smooth surface (DON'T like PebbleTec at all). Our pool builder is most familiar with DB, but we're also talking to a company that uses Wet Edge products - we particularly like the Luna Quartz line. So any experiences re Diamond Brite, Wet Edge, or any other surface finishes for that matter, would be most appreciated. Thanks!

• dawnsands
    7 years ago

Pool md please help. I bought some diamond bright from a authorize dealer Nexus Distributor in Florida about three months ago. I am highly concern because he sold me summer blue diamond brite and I can't find it no where online. Is there any way I can find out about the expiration date....can you tell me about this...please help

• belle0415
    6 years ago

I used Diamond Bright plaster 5 years ago and I am now having to re-plaster!!!! The warranty is for 10 years. I have contacted the company and the installer. The company rep. has come out and is now saying the calcium is low. We have always maintained this pool, checking it daily and periodically taking a water sample to Leslies. This pool is 30 years old and the first plaster lasted 25 years. The installer, Professional Pool Plastering, Pasadena, Texas, has never gotten back to me. Im not expecting to hear from him. I have contacted several new pool companies who tell me they DO NOT use Diamond Bright!!! I am beyond disappointed in this product and want to caution everyone who is planning on using Diamond Bright. I am getting ready to re-plaster the pool at my expense.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6 years ago

The company rep -guessing D Brite rep?-is on target about the calcium levels.

When you calcium levels are low, the water will pull any calcium from the plaster to essentially satisfy itself. The results are spotting and etching on the plaster.

A very high percentage of plaster failure is due to improper water chemistry.

Diamond Brite and other plaster manufacturers make their plaster material in batches and number the bags. The science behind the controlled manufacturing is to have a consistent mix for the plaster contractor. Application procedures and judgment is also paramount.

I have had claims from some of my clients that their plaster failed only to have confirmation from my plaster contractor and a company rep the failure/damage is from improper water chemistry.

• belle0415
    6 years ago

Yes I'm sure that hard water is a problem.

This pool was maintained everyday and water samples were taken in to have analyzed. Unfortunately I did not keep all the records. I would recommend that in the future everyone keep all records to prove that lack of calcium or hard water tests were done.

This product did not hold up!!! I interviewed 5 pool companies to replace and everyone said they would not use this Diamond Bright!!!

We had no problems with the previous plaster which lasted 25 years without problems. This plaster lasted less than 5 years. My photos show the product failure.