Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkfive_gw

Hawkfive Pool Build - Central NJ

hawkfive
15 years ago

Well, after a year of deliberating, we finally signed the contract in mid-September. Just happened to be the week the stock market took a nosedive! Needless to say, we were/are a little nervous given the economic climate, but we're pressing on. PB submitted documents last week for permit. They'll start digging within a few days of receiving approvals. We're hoping to be finished this fall.

Here are the specs:

730 sq. ft. freeform

21' x 45' dimension

3 - 8ft in depth

Hayward equipment, including gas heater

Perimeter tile

SWG

Wireless Controls

2 LED lights

Phantom Cleaner

Waterfall with 12' bench underneath

Diving rock

96 sq. ft. lounging ledge

6' built-in loveseat with stepout

Natural Stone Coping

River Rok finish

Mosaics - TBD

Decking - TBD

50 sq. ft. raised spa with 8 jets, stacked stone facing, and 1 LED light

Pergola

We are on a corner lot, and have a septic system, so that really dictated where we could put the pool. It will be perpendicular to my house, and off to the right. Not my ideal location, but the positive is I still maintain the rest of the yard for baseball, football, and soccer games (we have 3 boys!)

I've included a picture of our yard as it looks today.

Comments (82)

• tsunami
    15 years ago

Looks great! It looks better than the drawings.

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am happy to be sharing our build on this forum, and excited that folks are interested!

njfolks - I was never in love with the steps off the baja shelf - designer assured me they would look good, but I still had my doubts. When I learned that the steps were formed the day of the gunite shoot (vs rebar stage), and that I could change them, I jumped at the chance! As for the baja shelf, we never really got into the specifics of how they constructed the baja shelf, nor the added cost for it. I don't think there are footings under it - during the dig, they just didn't go as far down as shallow end.

We have narrowed down our River Rok choice to three. Turns out, my husband does not want even the slightest hint of green to the water! That eliminated several of the finishes I was contemplating. Here's what's left:

Lucayan Blue - love the water color - do not love the plaster/stone colors - not natural looking at all. However, this is the one the kids love best! Does their opinion count??

Blue Opal - love the plaster/stone colors - water color is darker than Lucayan on SGM's color chart. Have never seen a pool finished with it.

Baha Sand - love the plaster/stone colors. Have seen a pool finished with it, and it is very pretty, but the water color is the darkest of all, and I'm not sure we want to go that dark.

With any of these choices, I'll have to change my original tile selection - it just doesn't work. During my last trip to NPT, I had picked up another tile possibility, and it works nicely with any of these finishes. I really need to make a decision - they're coming to do tile/coping early next week.

Stay tuned...

• njfolks
    15 years ago

Hi Hawkfive,

Are you aware that SGM offers "custom blends" in the River Roc line? They could mix for example 4 parts Lucayan Blue with one part Blue Opal, for a darker look with more natural colored stones mixed in. If the Lucayan Blue is like the Tahoe Blue in other companies brands, then it is a very popular color for our area (NJ) because it doesn't have the too light or lightly green lagoon look as some of the other natural blends (anything with lots of tan goes greenish). I've seen Tahoe Blue and if you match your tile to a neutral coping the colored stones actually don't look so "unatural" under water. PS----Mom has the final vote!

Good luck with your decision.

NJFolks4@gmail.com

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's what's on tap for this week: tile, coping, and stackstone install, and running gas line to heater. We got some good news on Friday - we do not need a variance for the waterfall - yea! They are coming today to mark off the area on the beam for the waterfall, and plan on installing it once the electrical work is completed.

Some bad news - we will not be plastering the pool this fall. We got started just a little too late this fall, and and the pb doesn't want to risk any problems with the finish. He assures me we'll be one of the first in line for the spring. Now I get to ponder the River Rok finish all winter - aaagggghhh!

Just so you can see what I'm working with, I've attached River Rok's color chart. It includes their "basic" colors - calm sea, lucayan blue, granite, emerald black, imperial white, and pebble beach. All the others are their "custom" blends, which are mixtures of their "basic" colors, in 10 bag batches. For example, Lagoon is 6 parts calm sea, 2 parts granite, and 2 parts emerald black. Blue Opal is 8 parts lucayan blue and 2 parts emerald black.

• Laura Ready
    15 years ago

Hawkfive: Just looking at the pic above, I am partial to the baha sand color (being a dark blue water lover).
    I am so excited for you about the waterfall! I know that was something you really wanted.
    I hate you have to wait for spring to do your finish! I guess sometimes it is good to be a southern girl.
    They are forming up my decking now. Bad news here is rain the next three days. So, if they don't do dirt work today, we would be out for at least a week! They are also cleaning the pool. Perhaps I'll finally feel like putting some pics up! Hurray!

• njfolks
    15 years ago

Hi, Hawkfive--So glad you didn't have to wait on a Zoning Board for a variance. You will be able to get the big stuff out of the way and now you don't have the pressure to make a final choice so soon. Bad news for me though (LOL) as I was hoping to see if you picked a darker blue that I could come see. Everyone has closed their pools around here. I had been thinking the "Blue Tahoe/Lucan Blue" but now think that going a bit darker will look more natural for a freeform in my yard. Thanks for posting the River Rok blends since I did not see them on their website. I like readyami's pic of the "Baha Sand" and would never have guessed the darker blue look from the name. I also like your pic of the Blue Opal. I saw a photo of the Lucyan Blue being plastered and it looked very artificially bright. Since you didn't have to do the finish yet are you going to hold off on the tile and coping choices too? Or, if you have made them please post pictures so we can see the color combinations. Please share any photos if you find them of these deeper blue finish colors. Keep us updated!
    NJFolks4@gmail.com

• Laura Ready
    15 years ago

just to clarify, njfolks...I don't have a baha sand finish -- I have a fiberglass pool. I was just saying that I liked that color since I am partial to darker blue pools. Thanks!

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

njfolks - we are going ahead with tile and coping. Tile is NPT Avalon in Avatan and coping is EP Henry 6" Tumbled Bullnose. The tile matches the coping nicely, and both are neutral enough to go with whatever interior finish we select. Just want to clarify - the pool pic and River Rok finish I posted earlier are both Lucayan Blue. The SGM rep has promised to send me any add'l pics she gets her hands on. Have you decided on a pb? Where in NJ are you located?

Electrical work is also on tap for this week. Once that's done, work can begin on the waterfall.

• njfolks
    15 years ago

I think we are heading in the right direction now. We have several factors to consider that are important to us, but that might not be issues for others, so we were still looking for the right combination of PB and product & service. I would be happy to share some specifics and get your feedback on a particular PB or two under serious consideration as they may actually do more builds in your area. One might even be yours. You can send a "Hi" note by email to my gmail account I set up just to correspond with people on this board (as you may not want to put your personal email on a web posting site.)

Looked back over your posts . . . did you change your tile and coping pics from the ones that matched the mountain stone? I was considering a mountain stone facing product too that has a bit more blue/grey look from the company's sample I've seen. I remember liking your product and design choices and we have such a similar project in mind too.

I searched for hours on pebble pool colors of various brands this week! I am certainly willing to share info & photos and my design ideas. Make sure you add the "4" to the gmail NJFolks4@gmail.com). I Look forward to getting an address you feel comfortable with to reply to.

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

I like the baja sand and the blue opal! How pretty! Maybe you can spend nice fall winter days touring other pools with the finish you like. Then come spring, you know what you want.

Things are still moving right along on your build. It's already shaping up to be a beautiful pool!

• njfolks
    15 years ago

Hi Hawkfive--

Regarding River Rok custom blends . . .

Did you see this thread:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg0619262722064.html?21

NJFolks
    NJFolks4@gmail.com

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I haven't posted in a while, but there's been a lot of progress. Gas and electric were completed without incident. Waterfall and dive rock were installed this week. They look nice, although the dive rock area needs a little tweaking. And, the workers left my yard fairly messy, and cracked my sidewalk. I'm meeting with owner (this is a separate company from the pb) this afternoon to discuss.

Right now, they're working on installing the paver decking. We are having a bit of a problem with the color of the bullnose coping - first batch looked pink (yikes!) and definitely did not match our existing patio. And, it was pitted - rep said it was probably an old batch. Second batch delivered is only slightly better - not pitted, but definitely pink. The rep said they're manufacturing the coping a little different now, which may explain the color difference. Great! So, for now, the coping is not glued down - we'll see how it weathers over the winter - if I don't like, then we're going to have to figure out an alternate. Anyway, as a result of this "pink" coping, my perimter tile looks "off" - aagghh!! And, I'm starting to feel like we live in Bedrock, with all this hardscape in place. Wish spring would arrive, so we can soften the area with some plant material. Are you getting the sense I'm not so happy with my pool project right now?

The only bright spot at the moment is the pergola - the area for it has been marked out and I think it's going to look great. And, the pb has agreed to bring in another plaster company to do the pebble finish - perhaps Stonescapes or Sunstone Pearl.

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're having a beautiful day here in central NJ (58 degrees), so I thought I'd take some pics, and show everyone our progress. We are thrilled with the way everything has turned out so far. Now that the patio is in, the coping doesn't look nearly as pink, and I think we can live with it. Not much happened here the past couple of weeks, with the holidays and bad weather (we've had a lot of rain), but the landscaper is due back tomorrow to finish up patio, and begin final grading/clean-up of yard. After that, we have to wait until March/April for pebble finish, spa wallstone, and fence install, and landscaping.

from existing patio:

waterfall:

area for pergola:

dive rock:

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

I have to ask are concerned that by using the "step" capping as coping will be rough on the bathing suits and the kids legs? everything looks nice... I don't think you mentioned who built the pool? Thanks

• Laura Ready
    15 years ago

Oh, hawkfive, it is turning out beautifully! I am so glad you were able to get the waterfall in. And the decking is beautiful as well.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

Who is the PB?

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments.

topfiftybuilder - the step cap was definitely not my first choice for coping. Wanted flagstone, but the quarry we visited only had 2 choices, and neither worked with the pavers. I then opted for the ep henry bullnose, and if you read my earlier post, that didn't work out either. So, we backed into the step cap. I do not love it - they're manufacturing it differently now, and the color seems "off" to me. The top of the cap is very smooth, but I agree with your comment about the edge being slightly rough. But, when I look at pictures of pools with flagstone, it also looks rough to me. I should mention that the coping is not yet glued down - I'm hoping another option presents itself before spring!!

poolguynj - I'm reluctant to disclose the name of the pb at this point. Suffice it to say, it is one of the national chains, and so far, we've been very pleased with their work. However, they've still got to plaster the pool, and bring everything online, so I'd rather wait until then to give the particulars.

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

poolguynj
    I can tell by the easy construction process, great design and execution and the happiness of the customer its a Blue Haven Pool ;)

Hawkfive
    I manage the Morganville,New Jersey for BHP if there is anything you need please don't hesitate. I'm happy your project is going well. BTW I have done River Rok on a couple pool recently once they are open I would be glad to take you to them. I can also give you help and advice on the coping if you need it. Thanks Scott 267-716-6884

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

topfiftybuilder,
    You are soooooooooooooooooooooo funny.Your last post was hilarious.

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

Well thanks.... I'm glad you got chuckle... ?

• jdavis1965
    15 years ago

your pool looks nice, my pool that we built in my yard came out great. The best thing was the service, our pool builder CLC pools was so helpful. They had their landscape company Chatham Landscape Contractors help design the entire yard with their landscape architect. The project came out great they built 2 waterfalls, an arbor, raised patios, and brought huge trees in to the yard to make it seem like it had been there for years. The best part is the yard had a huge drop off and they fixed it by raising the yard up and bringing huge boulders to build a wall. Others said we couldnt have a pool but they said we could and now we do. If you want a quality pool built by a great company call them at 7328689100 or visit the website www.chathamlandscape.com and www.clcpools.com

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jdavis1965 - thanks for the referral. I've seen Chatham Landscape in Design NJ magazine, and admired their work, but I've got a landscaper that I've used for years, and am very happy with them. They've come up with a really nice plan to give us privacy (priority!) and soften up all the hard surfaces.

Now that the weather is starting to warm up here, our project is "restarting". We've installed a pergola by the pool, and later this week the fence and landscaping will be installed. I'll post some pictures when they're completed.

• topfiftybuilder
    15 years ago

Maybe you could put one in the front yard... LOL ... This guy has been posting mini commercials on every NJ post...

• Laura Ready
    14 years ago

Hawkfive....when are you getting your finish put on the pool?

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've had heavy rains, thunderstorms, even hail, over the past week here in central NJ, so our landscaping and fence install have been delayed. Hopefully, by mid-week we'll be able to resume. Will keep you posted...

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was uploading some pics, and came across this - my boys and their friends had made a snow slide from the shallow end to the deep end. And now that the weather is nicer, they've been itching to ride their ripsticks in the pool. I put the kabosh on that real fast. Oh the things that boys will do!

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure who's following this thread, but I thought I'd post our latest pics. Landscaping is nearly complete - still need to plant in the waterfall (thinking verbena), and put some annuals by the pergola. Awaiting gates and topcaps for fence. And, still trying to iron out interior finish. Hopefully, that will happen early this week, so we can get on the plasterers' calendar.

• joanneswimsct
    14 years ago

Looking good, Hawkfive! I can't wait to see it w/ water. I take it you still haven't decided on your surface yet? You'd better hurry; the weather is getting warm and toasty! Don't waste a minute of it!!
    Joanne

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Hawk,

How well is that bottom row of rock attached? My concern is for the safety cover attachment.

Addition suggestion: Get measured for it now, while the pool is empty. It'll be easier and more accurate leading to a better fit.

Scott

• smith1970
    14 years ago

Ive also heard of chatham landscape contractors my friend used them to do their pool. It absolutely turned out great. The funny thing is their neighbor is using one of the big chains and they havnt finished yet after 10 months. Jdavis your project sounds really nice, and topfifty from what it seems like you are a commercial. he is just talking about his project

• topfiftybuilder
    14 years ago

No... If you read the post I beg to differ... my proof is in the pictures... I don't need to to hijack a thread to talk about a builder thats been in business for five years... I'm going on 55.. Let the other builder do a nice job and maybe someone will start their own thread about how great their experience with them is... I see you joined yesterday to jump in the thread... hmmmm.. thats not fishy is it?

• smith1970
    14 years ago

yeah i did join yesterday due to forgetting my previous account i havent been on this site in a long time, i am not hijacking the forum, im simply commenting on someone previous post which is what a forum is all about. I dont understand why you have to be obnoxious about this.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Hawkfive,

email me please

Scott

• njfolks
    14 years ago

Hi Hawkfive---

Sooooo curious . . . but, the end result is great. I was just thinking about you the other day and was wondering if you were swimming yet. How did you get everything all done with all the rain? I liked your previous choices, however, the new direction you took is very, very, nice and I particularly like the bolder choice of the new tile. Did you change your stone facing on the spa too?

I looked over your specs and didn't see a pump choice. What are you using. . make, HP, just one? or one for pool and one for spa? Booster pump or blower for spa? Just curious as we have gotten differing advice on these in connection with operating 8 jets.

Please post more pictures when the pool is filled!!!! Good luck with it and enjoy!

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

njfolk,

The use of a blower is gated on a number of factors:

Who's jets and what model?
    How much water is the jet rated for to operate correctly?
    What pump and what size?
    How far away is the pump?
    What size plumbing is the loop for the air and for the water?

Not all spa and jet designs are the same as I am sure you realize. Its not hard to imagine there being potential guesswork being involved.

Scott

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some of the latest pics of pool with water in it. While it's been filled for 3 weeks now, we haven't been in it much because the weather here has been awful. Today is the first real sunny day in a long time! Have to say that we are loving the River Rok finish - the water color is just what we wanted, and the texture is smooth and comfortable under foot - not scratchy at all. We do have some mottling - mainly in the shallow end and on the baja shelf. The manufacturer, SGM, recommends brushing every day during the 30 day 'waiting' period, and at that point, if it still exists, doing an acid bath.

DH has taken many naps out here!

Part of our outdoor sound system!

• fletch58
    14 years ago

let me guess, jackson nj ?

• topfiftybuilder
    14 years ago

Lori
    It looks great!.. glad to see the bullnose coping on there... Thank you for your business:)

• Laura Ready
    14 years ago

Hey! Just on after a long break....it is BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad you finally finished!

• swimin2010
    14 years ago

Hawkfive,
    We are in the same neck of the woods and I would love to know if you are still happy with your PB and if you would recommend them. I need to get a couple of other quotes and I would be really interested to know which builders you spoke with/liked or have any opinions on.
    This process is so stressful!(and expensive...did I mention expensive?)

• apdnj
    14 years ago

swimin2010

I'm in the same boat as you. In passing along what I have learned I would stick with Blue Haven (TopFifty) and East Coast Pool Concepts...you can flip a coin.

I'm finalizing things right now and both seem excellent and parrallel in costs.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

I have worked on many of both builders pools. The only thing that ever bugged me about East Coast was the tendency to tie drains to skimmers. Run them individually to the equipment pad and plumb the drain so it can send heated water to the bottom. After that, dead heat. Both have skill sets that are similar enough but can do different things with their designs better than the other.

Both have built some absolutely amazing pools in my area. It's always a pleasure working on them vs. some of the basic stuff.

Overall feedback I have heard from my customers have been pretty positive. Sometimes, E.C. seems a bit slower in progressing. If I was building in my back yard, I would use Scott because I have known him for some time and know I can trust his judgment in the areas I'm not qualified to make and not worry, and his sense of urgency to get things done.

Yes Scott, I would plumb my own pad. You wouldn't expect me to to do other wise, now would you. heheh. One day, when I hit the lottery...

Scott

• apdnj
    14 years ago

parallel- hate it when I don't proof-read

• michelle16
    14 years ago

Hi Hawkfive, I sent you an e-mail as well, not sure if you will get it, I am new to the forum, my question is I had my guinit installed same day as hawkfive-Nov 4 , mine was this nov. though, so the pool has sat over the winter with no plaster yet, I have some hairline cracks from settling, one is 11 feet long. PB says they are not structural and this happens they will do pebble bottom right over it, did any one else get cracks? if so how did you fix it? hawwkfive-yours sat from nov-june as mine will, was it okay?I am so stressed, got a way to go, only the shell is done they still have not come back from nov! the weather is good now and I want to get going, goal is to be swimming by Memorial day!Please post back would love advise!thanks

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

michelle16,

It would be helpful to start a new thread with pictures. This thread is pretty long and loaded already.

Scott

• hawkfive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Swimin2010 - we interviewed AS and BH, as well as Swim-mor and a small, custom pool co out of PA. Custom co. was super expensive, so we ruled them out. Swim-mor was a strong contender - heard good things about them, but they did not offer a pebble finish, which we were set on. So, it came down to AS vs. BH. Really connected with the BH salesman - very knowledgeable and easy to work with. They were more than AS, but we were able to negotiate down slightly. Overall, experience was very good and would recommend them. Where are you in NJ? We're centrally located and used BH out of Extonville PA, but I know there's an office in Morganville NJ. And, yes, building a pool is expensive!!

michelle16 - just replied to your email.

• swimin2010
    14 years ago

Hawkfive,
    I hate to be so inquisitive (and dare I say tacky...) but may I ask you what the pool, landscaping and fence set you back? Roughly?
    We have a quote for the deck, fencing, pool and the total...well, it makes my husband feel a little woozy!
    I am just curious how your numbers compare...
    And did your PB do the pavers and the fencing or was that a different company?
    Since I have seen pictures of your finished product it would help me to be able to show it to my husband and say "This pool and all you see with it cost _______ dollars"
    (He needs visual aids!)
    I would send you an email but I don't see anyway to do that on this site....am I missing something?
    Thanks again

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

In your profile, you can set it so members can email you through GW. It keeps the bots from harvesting email addresses.

Scott

• dawn3000
    13 years ago

My husband and I are looking for a pergola to put over our hot tub. Did you purchase yours at Target (Tiverton Gazebo)? If so, are you happy with it? Did you cement posts into the ground to secure it? - your construction pics show holes in the pavers for the posts. Could you tell me the height measurement from the ground to the horizontal frame piece that connects the columns. I need to make sure it's tall enough. Thanks!