Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiorookie

New Pool Build- Cleveland, Ohio- JDM Design

ohiorookie
13 years ago

Thanks to all for the information and guidance you provide on this website. I have learned so much, but still have alot to learn.

I am still gathering information, but think I have found a PB I am comfortable with. I worked with Chris from JDM Pool Design on the pool and backyard design. I highly recommned him. He is very knowledgeable and charges a fair price.

The PB and I are discussing building the pool in the fall and letting the ground settle over the winter. We will complete the pool build and deck in the spring when the weather permits.

Here are the details: (Please provide feedback!!)

- 18 x 36 Gothic- IG Vinyl- Cardinal

- 3.5 to 5 ft. sport pool

- Cantilevered Coping

- 2 Skimmers

- 3 returns (one at steps)

- 1.5 inch PVC Rigid

- 8 ft. walk in Acrylic Step (Marble Blue)

- 8 ft. Sun Ledge/Bench (Marble Blue)

- (2)18 inch Jandy Scheer Descents with 3/4 or 1 HP Standard Hayward Pump

- (2) 2 ft. by 2 ft. Paver Pillars for Scheer Descents

- Dedicated Wall Suction for cleaner

- Choose Dirt Devil Avenger, Kreepy Krawler or new Dolphin cleaner

- 2 Hayward Color Logic LED Lights

- Hayward Universal H Series 250K BTU

- Hayward Star Clear Plus C-1200 Cartridge Filter

- Hayward 1 HP Super Pump

- Hayward Aqua Plus SWG

- Hayward Aqual Pod for Automation

- Coverlon Winter Mesh Cover

- Solar cover and reel

- In-line anode for corrosion protection

Is the cartridge filter and heater large enough for this pool? (3.5 to 5 ft. depth)

Should I request a 2 speed pump or VS and 2 inch PVC?

Should I request a change from suction to pressure with a Polaris 280?

How much should the cost increase with these or other changes?

Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

Should I request a 2 speed pump or VS and 2 inch PVC?

Very complex subject and doubtless you will get more input but the latest poop is, you might achieve even greater savings using 4-speed vf. However unless you don't mind doing it manually you might have to switch back to high speed occasionally to clear flotsam out the skimmer

Should I request a change from suction to pressure with a Polaris 280?

The Polaris 280 and the later 380 et al require a separate booster and probably are thus more efficient than the suction sweep which shares your main pump though have dozens of moving parts and are difficult to service

My 380 leaves patches at the bottom requiring continual readjustment of the jet to get more nearly random paths. I doubt if the 280 is any better in this respect though Amazon customers surprisingly rate it higher than any of its successors

Also surprisingly it's on sale at about half the price of the 380, calling into question the possibility it's being discontinued and the question of continuing spare parts availability

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

Also the Polaris booster might self-destruct if it should draw air. A vf at slow speed might not maintain sufficient flow at the output of your filter where the booster is connected to maintain a positive pressure at that point where the slightest leakage might otherwise suck atmosphere

Thus when we install my new vf I intend also to connect a gage at this point to monitor pressure until I'm sure it never goes negative

• ohiorookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback dalehileman.

What do you think about the cartridge filter and heater?

Are they big enough?

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback dalehileman.

Not at all Ohio, it's heartwarming achieve the smallest recognition in this maelstrom of unremitting interpersonal bitterness

What do you think about the cartridge filter and heater?

Sorry I'm inexpert upon such but will fwd a link of this thread to a couple of fine fellas I know who may have faced such decisions, shall fwd here any response

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

For a suction side cleaner, The Pool Clearer has been getting top marks from several of the fellas here.

Bring the plumbing up to 2".

The filter is a bit small for my tastes. You'll be better served with the Hayward Swim Clear line of filters over the Star Clear. Much better flow through. and more filtering square feet = less frequent cleaning.

Most of what your builder is using is Hayward. The 1-1/2 HP Multi-Speed Tri-Star will give you energy efficiency and the extra umph you need when running the sheers or suction side cleaner. No need for a second pump for the sheers since you don't have a spa.

Sticking with the same manufacturer for the pump and filter usually extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 or more. It also usually gets extended to other major stuff from the same manufacturer like automation, salt cells, lights and heaters.

A 250K will be hard pressed given the area of the pool surface. A 400K will do it faster and uses the same amount of gas to get/keep the pool to temp.

Scott

• ohiorookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Scott.

I was hoping you would provide feedback since I have learned so much from you on this site and we are in a similar climate.

I will ask the builder to requote with your suggestions.

How much more do you feel I should pay for the upgrades/changes?

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

The filter will be a few hundred more but worth the investment, The same will be true for the heater.

The labor won't change for the plumbing but the materials may carry a 25 to 30% premium that will significantly reduce energy needs.

Scott

• sceadu
    13 years ago

Any progress ?

• ohiorookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am meeting with the PB next week. Hope to finalize the contract and start the build in the spring due to the cold weather.

I will post pics in the spring!!

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Ohio,

I like the design.

Its amazing how much detail the designer put into the house and yard.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for this design.

• ohiorookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you just-a-pb. I paid $400 for the design and advice on the pool build itself. However, paid JDM an additional $200 because I make a bunch of changes after he provided me with the final drawing.