Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool temperature

Posted by jvmagic (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 12:01

Hi,
we've had three days of 90+ heat and my solar has been on for 8 hrs/day from 10am - 6pm. The water temp has not gone up much (started high 66 or so and now 73).
I do notice that the filter pressure is on the high side 28+ so I'm wondering if this would make the water not turnover as much causing the water temp to slowly rise.
any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

~jv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool temperature

jv your post interests us as we had considered that sort of heating. From other threads I assume the solar heater typically isn't that effective though we must assume there's a matter of its size so how big is yours and more important perhaps, where do you live

Intuitively 28 lb seems on the high side but I can't believe the filter significantly slows flow though you will doubtless hear from others

o

i've had my pool up to the high 80's in the past. I'm in San Jose, CA 95118. I don't know how to quantify the size but I have 8 BIG panels on my roof and can normally get 80+ water temp.

thanks again,

~jv

o

As to size of panels I recommend reading at the U of Central Florida sponsored Florida Solar Energy Center.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/index.htm

As to PSI values, solar will either require more power (variable speed pump) or reduce flow rates (single/two-speed pump). The amount will value according to number of panels, size and distance of piping, height of panel install, etc. Overall, they are more electrically efficient than a heat pump (for comparable cash outlays).

o

how many gallons is your pool?

o

jvmagic, many factors affect solar heating. We have 1:1 ratio sq footage panels to surface area and we keep the pool thermostat set at 91 degrees. Now that we have cooler nights it is very important to have a solar cover on the pool at night time. Last night the temp went to 50 degrees and this morning my pool temp is 86 degrees. The pump will run about 4 hrs today to get the temp of pool to 91 degrees. 28 psi sounds a little high. My pressure is 22 psi with solar on. I would think that a higher psi would have less flow but I am not sure what the ineffiency would be. What does your psi normally run? Are you using a solar blanket?
BTW we are in Jackksonville Fl.
Hope this helps

o

How cold are your nights? You can loose alot of heat overnight if it is cold outside. Use a solar cover at night and you won't need to play catch up with heating. I am in Phoenix and can gain 6 degrees on a 90 degree day (75% coverage), but loose 3-4 degrees overnight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here