Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you own a Polaris 280...

Posted by dalehileman (dalehileman@verizon.net) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 11:44

...there's a detail of its construction you might help me with

Though surviving about 6 or 7 years of wear and tear I'm considering replacement of my 380 which works pretty well but the bag wears out quickly and costs $33 to replace. However its base comes apart with a little difficulty and one can fashion one's own receptacle for just a few cents

I reveal this at risk of a Polaris representative learning from my username who I am and where I live, then sending in a bomber or arsonist

But I'm considering a 280 which presently is not only half the price of a 380 but which Amazon customers rate better than any of its successors. So I need to know if its base comes apart as with the 380--thanks all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you own a Polaris 280...

Dale, don't sweat the Polaris rep.

The 280 isn't perfect but it is one very solidly designed pressure side sweep. I would expect even you would have a tough time killing it.

Scott

o

Scott thanks for that report. But I wonder if you'd happen to know whether the bag base comes apart as with the 380--thanks

o

Dale, ya gotta learn to google stuff my man.

http://www.polarispool.com/poolcleaners/280.aspx

This magic page has at the bottom......

The manual.

o

Thanks Goy for that link and I readily admit to laziness but it's not immediately apparent from the instruction book how the bag base assembles while the entire detachment is shown and sold as a single unit

To re-reiterate and possibly clarify, the 380 bag base consists of two plastic rings interlocking around the mouth of the bag but which come apart (with just a bit of difficulty to be sure) so that one may slide them apart substituting a homemade replacement fashioned from some common household fabric

Incidentally in the case of the 380 rubberized rug/carpet non-slip has proven ideal for this use. Thus 2 cents worth of this medium and couple of minutes with the sewing machine can save you $32.98

Otherwise it's as if when you experience a flat tire you have to buy a new car

I had hoped to hear from the actual owner of a 280 whether its bag base disassembled in the same way but apparently such are few and far between, at least in the typical swimming-pool board forum but thank you anyway Goy and Guy for your interest in my query

o

Or you could use a nylon stocking.....just think about how much fun it could be fashioning that! You can buy replacement bags on eBay at big discount too.

i have a 280. 5 years , 2 bags.....no nylons....

o

Thanks Jim but I've tried a nylon stocking. It slips loose and doesn't last very long. Owing to its rubberized finish the rug non-slip won't pull loose and shows promise of a long life

Re-re-reiterating however, to implement this innovation does the bag base pull apart as with the 380--thank you agin Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here