Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main Drain Cover Problem

Posted by MiaOKC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 11:16

Hi! Noticed that our Polaris 9300 robot might have gotten into a fight with our main drain cover. It's leaf season so we've been running the robot quite a bit. Our plan was to keep the pool open all winter so we don't have a swamp to look at from all our windows. Had a freeze-guard timer installed.

Googling and searching GW and TFP, I'm guessing the only way to fix the cover is either drain the pool or scuba gear or wait until next year? I cannot tell exactly what is wrong with the cover, it appears there is rust around the screw holes but I cannot be sure if the screws broke or if the robot just dislodged the cover. I presume fixing will entail installation of a VGB compliant cover if this one can't be screwed down again?

Thanks for any insight you all can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main Drain Cover Problem

Another pic, not much different.

o

I would change the drain cover for a newer, VGB compliant one. They tend to be a larger diameter which also slows the water velocity and makes them safer as well.

Paramount makes a universal model that fits just about every drain out there.

Scott

o

Thanks, Scott. Over the summer we felt on the drain with our hands and couldn't feel any suction at all, so I'm thinking we will wait until next summer (and warmer water) to replace - it doesn't appear to be pulling any leaves in or anything. We have a two-skimmer system and finally figured out we had to put a "biscuit"/"saucer" thing in one of the skimmers to get ANY suction from the second one, so I figure the main drain might only operate if we block both skimmers.

Perhaps sometime in the past there were valves on the plumbing to divert between skimmers and drains, but the exposed PVC plumbing had all been recently replaced before we bought the house last year so I cannot tell for sure - there are no valves for that now, just our sand filter's multiport valve. There is also the mystery of the dead return - out of 9 returns, 8 work well and we have balanced them with different sized fittings. One has absolutely nothing going on. Could have been a pressure vac return I supposed - the secrets of the "mature" pool!

o

I don't think it's the suction holding your cleaner but rather that it stands too high and that the concrete around it is a bit on the steep side.

I'll bet a couple drops of food coloring near the drain will show it to be working. Hands usually are not sensitive enough.

Without seeing the plumbing, I can't guess the configuration. I will say it would be unusual for the drain to be tied to a skimmer since the skimmers are already tied to each other.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here