Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spa spillway issue

Posted by shorelinedesign (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 10:57

I am current having a custom spa built and have run into a spillway issue during construction and can't decide how to resolve it. Pool builder is giving suggestions that are fitting the bill but is willing to hear any suggestions I may have. The spa is 9 foot in diameter from outside to outside and it is round. The shot crete is in place and was formed with the idea that the spa would sit on coping edge so that it looked as if coping ran continuously around pool edge. The spa was formed a allow a stone finish (4") thick and now that is going to be a split face travertine (1 1/4") thick instead. This means the spillway is going to drop down right onto the coping instead of in the pool (unless we put a very deep piece of travertine to extend the water out into the pool (which I think might look like a silly diving board - and I do have kids that would try and stand on it to use it as one). The pool builder mentioned a scupper so that the water would have sides to fall into. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED! We are desperately trying to keep the integrity of the ROUND spa without adding too much but don't know what to do.
THANKS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spa spillway issue

Please post a pic.

Scott

o
RE: spa spillway issue

that makes sense... only other options I could think of:
-You could build a stair step feature, with controlled splash out sides, down to the water's edge of the pool.
-You could build a portion of the spa out, the width of the spillway and the height of the spa. Again, it would need sides, but it wouldnt be overhanging. The spa would remain round, less this spillway.
-You could also grout in spillways...think copper/brass tubes that hang out over the pool's coping, dropping water into the pool. If your spillway is 4' wide, maybe do 6 of them evenly spaced. They would be less attractive to hang on or walk out on, but would serve the purpose of shared water and a waterfeature.
When running spillway mode from the spa, you would need to adjust your water flow to control the amount sent to the spa, as these can only handle so much, as opposed to an open spill way that can handle many more gpm.

check out BOBE water features for some ideas. they make great metal spillways. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here