Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstpoolforme

New small pool in Sugar Land

firstpoolforme
13 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for pool builders in the Sugar Land area.

I am looking for someone with experience using space wisely, since I don't have a huge backyard. I am thinking I will be able to build around 15 x 28 the widest.

Any ideas, pictures, recommendations are greatly appreciated. I will be posting the progress here.

Thanks,

firstpoolforme

Comments (37)

• fighting_irish
    13 years ago

You have sevral great companies in you area.

Encore pools(281) 725-6857
    Abear pools (281) 240-7946
    Gulf Coast Pool Co. (281) 232-8825
    Richards pools (713) 468-8827

I am sure any one of these would be able to utilize the space you have available.

Good Luck,

David

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks David. I will give them a call. I've heard about the first three, not much so on the fourth company.

Also, I looked at our land survey and I think we will be able to do something as wide as 16.5 on the deep side and maybe 10 on the pool entrance; and as long as 28. Is that big enough?... I have two kids and lots of friends!

Thanks

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Within two days I got appointments with:
    - Encore pools
    - Abear pools
    - Pulliam Pools

I have emailed 4 other ones but haven't received a call or email back, yet.

I am looking forward to see what ideas they have in mind to maximize the space in my backyard!... and getting excited about the whole process!...

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hayward or Pentair?... which one is better???

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Recommendations?

Our pool will be around 410-420 sq ft. No spa, two water scuppers. We've been given the following options:

Option 1:
    - Pentair Automatic water filler
    - Pentair IntelliChlor
    - Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair valves
    - Pentair WhisperFlo
    - Polaris 280

Option 2:
    - Hayward Phantom Turbo
    - Goldline Chlorinator
    - Hayward Super II Pump HP 1
    - Hayward Tristar Pump HP 2
    - Hayward Swimclear filter

Recommendations?... I don't know what to choose!!!... Help!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Pentair. Lasts longer, better engineered, See if they will use a Pentair Legend sweep instead for the extended warranty.

Ask for Jandy Never-Lube valves.

Why does option 2 have two pumps?

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Scott. I'll ask about the Pentair Legend.

I guess we need two pumps for the water feature?... I think that's what they mentioned.

Thanks,
    firstpoolforme

• fighting_irish
    13 years ago

I was just looking over your equipment list.

I also see you are in Sugarland. What are they using for and SVRS. The city of Sugarland requires this on all direct suction inlets in the pool.

Assuming you are pulling a permit in the Sugarland area. You will need an SVRS on both of the pumps you are using. Either an IntelliFlo VS-SVRS Pump 011017
    ,Stingl , or Vac alert. There are other types of these systems but these are the most commonly used in the area.

I would definately check on this. I personally have been red flagged on my inspections out there, they are pretty tough on the inspections. I am sure HUSKYRIDER will agree with this.

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

If you make it rectangular you may more easily heat it using a rollup solar cover though be advised you have to replace it every year or two

....orienting it so that your prevailing wind will help carry flotsam to the skimmer port

"I guess we need two pumps for the water feature?... I think that's what they mentioned."

Not sure why but if one is the booster for your sweep be advised that some models such as the Polaris unit self destruct if it should suck air even for an instant. This unfortunate characteristic could affect choices in your plumbing: For instance if you're using a vf with a sand filter and if your booster is connected at its output, the pressure at this point could more easily go negative, allowing air to be introduced thought any imperfection or leakage thereabout

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Dale, I have no idea where you got the idea about a booster sucking air causing self destruction but it's untrue.

It's also untrue about a sand filter/VF combination.

Do not portray yourself as an expert on pools. You are not. It diminishes the rest of us that are.

@fpfm, Would you please better define your planned scuppers? Unless they are really wide, the mail circulation pump should feed them quite nicely without them needing their own pump.

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's see.

The pool will have a two-three level raised wall with
    (2) 12âÂÂ
    (1) 24âÂÂ
    scuppers

• mah
    13 years ago

We just had a pool built 15 x 34 the company was Hamilton-Steele. I have listed it on Gardenweb under Garden Oaks. Good luck!

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mah, your selection of the travertine is very nice. I think the dimensions of the pool are very similar.

Thanks for sharing!

firstpoolforme

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

If your pad is less than 100' from the pool and you have 2" plumbing, I would expect a single pump to be fine.

Scott

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

"Dale, I have no idea where you got the idea about a booster sucking air causing self destruction but it's untrue."

When my Polaris booster went west, Guy, requiring over $100 repair, I was so advised by our friendly local Bill's Pool and Spa who asserted that I must never let it suck air even for a few seconds

"It's also untrue about a sand filter/VF combination."

I was merely suggesting that owing to its relative greater resistance with a vf running at slowest speed that the greater pressure differential between input and output, especially if there should for example occur a momentary accompanying power failure or, say, if water level dropped below bottom edge of the skimmer port, and if a previously unnoticed fault in the tubing introduced a leak to ambient, a negative pressure at this juncture might introduce air

"Do not portray yourself as an expert on pools."

Didn't realize I had done so. Was merely speculating in the hope someone with the necessary qualifications could demonstrate how my reasoning was deficient, thereby reassuring me that my fears about such matters are groundless

"You are not. It diminishes the rest of us that are."

Herewith I assure all that no diminution whatever is intended so my most abject apologies to those of you who have been so egregiously mislead in that respect

• fighting_irish
    13 years ago

Dale,

I am sure you think you are being helpful but you are not. Hi-jacking someones thread with the comments and suggestions that really have nothing to do with the thread are an intrusion. I just hope that the person that started the thread continues to post updates for the rest of us to see that accually know what we are talking about. Please do not respond to this Dale, if you have comments create your own threads and we will think about reading them.

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

"Dale, I have no idea where you got the idea about a booster sucking air causing self destruction but it's untrue."

I'm still baffled by that comment. I was merely relaying an assertion by our local Bill's Pool and Spa. My crew finished the installation just yesterday afternoon and upon firing it up confirmed that at lowest vf speed the booster does indeed pull air. Therefore it was necessary to program the system to increase pump speed to 2300 rpm during the 1-hour interval the booster is also on

"It's also untrue about a sand filter/VF combination."

I was merely speculating that using a vf pump at low speed the sand filter might drop the pressure at its output below the requirement of the booster, and this proved apparently to be the case. Whether the low vf pump speed or the resistance by the sand is the predominant factor I can't say but it seems reasonable to suppose they both figure in

"Do not portray yourself as an expert on pools. You are not. It diminishes the rest of us that are."

I haven't so portrayed myself

• dalehileman
    13 years ago

"Hi-jacking someones thread with the comments and suggestions that really have nothing to do with the thread are an intrusion."

I am puzzled if not abashed by that comment also. The OP states, "Any ideas, pictures, recommendations are greatly appreciated." So I contributed an idea and a recommendation. How is that either hijacking or an intrusion

All and sundry with similar reactions to what I had intended as pertinent and possibly helpful suggestions are herewith advised simply not to read my posts

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Dale,
    your posts are like a bad accident.
    I have to look at them.

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally after several weeks of going back and forth with the design we signed last thursday with Pearland Pools!

They have been great working with us so far and I can't wait to see my pool!!!...

Area: 389 sq ft
    Depth: 3'6" - 6'
    Size: 14' x 32'
    Capacity: 13,000 gls

Equipment
    Filter: Hayward C4025 Cartdridge Filter
    Main Pump: Hayward Tristar 1.0 HP
    Lights: Colorlogic LED
    Time Clock: Intermatic Dual Time Clock
    Chlorinator: Aquarite Salt/Chlorine Generator
    Cleaner: Polaris 280 w/booster
    Waterfeature: 1 - 24" and 2 12" scuppers
    Waterfeature pump: 1.0 KP Super II

For the experts out there... let me know if this sounds good.

As soon as I find out how to upload pictures, I will post the 'final' design.

And the adventure begins!!!... I am so excited.

firstpoolforme

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I'd rather see a Super Pump over the Super II. Much easier to work on and with.

Super II's, with 2" fittings make pump cover removal awkward. The extra bolts used to get at the pump seals are a nuisance.

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input Scott. I will ask my PB about this.

We are going through city permits at this point. I am hoping to upload pictures of the start soon!...

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: Pearland Pools-Randy was at home yesterday doing the layout of the pool. So much easier to 'see' where the pool will be.

Minor issue: Centerpoint had to re route a gas line that was going through the left corner of the pool. $$$ to re-route!... on that side we have a building line, not a utility line, but I would think Centerpoint should be paying for that!

Now, we are waiting for city approvals!!! Hopefuly we will be digging next week!

firstpoolforme

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is official - we are having a pool. Pearland Pools were here this morning digging the pool. They were done in a few hours. Now, I don't have grass anymore... just a big dirty hole!

Now, let's talk tile. What do you think about these options for the raised wall?

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Let talk pix! Lets talk specs, equipment, etc...

photobucket (its free): make an album and put the pix there.

They give you 4 choices of code. Copy the 3rd option

Paste it in the message box here, one per line. White space between is useful to add comments and descriptions.

Congrats!

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pictures...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

That's a lot of clay. Set up for drainage or it will expand and shrink repeatedly and create voids and pressure points.

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tile 1:

Tile 2:

Tile 3:

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Scott. They mentioned the drain system would be between the house and the pool. I know this is something my husband is very concern about since we have an interesting slope from the back of the yard to the middle of the yard and it works fine right now.

Any recommendations?

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Getting a soils engineer might not be a bad expense. That looks like a lot of clay. I am not a builder but as I recall, heavy clay such as what I think I see might not be a real suitable supporting bed. A builder might poo poo that but the OK is on you, not him in many jurisdictions. He wants his money. You want a pool that lasts without problems like poor MAGGIE96 is dealing with in the Cracks In Pool thread..

Scott

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gunite was yesterday. Here are a few pictures of the process...

Getting ready:

Gunite process:

Gunite in wall:

Gunite almost there:

Gunite after 1 day and watering twice:

What do you think about the drainage of the planter? Would I have a problem with water from the back of the pool coming in and water from the actual planter?... I wish we have a better solution. This is what Pearland Pools mentioned would work best. I just don't know.

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are supposed to be in the low 20F today in the Sugar Land area. We did the gunite on Saturday, so we are supposed to water it several times a day for the next few days.
    Should I worry about having ice on the pool?

• ttruman13
    13 years ago

That's a lot of clay. Set up for drainage or it will expand and shrink repeatedly and create voids and pressure points.
    Scott

Scott
    How would you drain that? french drain underneath? surrounding drainage? can you expound please?

PS for the record I Am not a POOL EXPERT...I did however, stay at a holiday inn last week....:)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Too late now. The pool is shot.

Scott

• king_michelob
    13 years ago

Actually the soil here in Sugar Land isn't "clay", it's gumbo - much worse. You could make pottery out of our dirt.

Firstpool- No, I would not be concerned about ice, if the pool is full. In 3 years here it's never gotten close, even in last year's deep freeze we had. (though the hot tub did glaze over last year) The pool would need to be very small to drop in temperature that much that it would freeze up. But you should have the pumps on, if you're that far along.

• firstpoolforme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We had plumbing and electric done since my last post. Pictures below.

All the pipes used (as I could see) were 2", I think there was a small one but used for electric wiring, that's what I was told.

We made our selections on coping (travertine torreon edge), waterline tile, and travertine tile for the bench and planter. And have ordered the glass tile!!.. woohooo!

Plumbing for scuppers

Connection for scuppers and lights

Equipment

Corners:

All around the pool