Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'd like to automate my pool

Posted by wease (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 9:08

All of the controls for my pool and attached hot tub are manual. If I want to turn the hot tub on I need to turn 2 valves and flick the heater on manually. I also have two mechanical control units. One for the pool filter and the other runs the vacuum.

How can I automate this system? In the research I've done it looks like I would need:
-Digital Pool Timer (I'd like to get just one to control up to 3 devices)
-wireless handheld transceiver
-(2) Jandy actuators (24v?)
-transformer for actuators
-not sure how to get the heat turned on and adjusted wirelessly.

Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'd like to automate my pool

A Pentair EasyTouch 4 will do it. The 520538 is the main controller for up to four high voltage (120/240 VAC) devices and comes with 2 valve actuators. They can also come bundled an Intellichlor salt cell if you want. You can also get wired or wireless remotes.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentair EasyTouch Info

o

Big ditto:

o

You could also build your own system with switches if you like. You can keep you existing time clock and install a contactor to override the pump and relays to operate the valves and heater. you can wire it so that when you want to use the spa you just flip one switch and it will turn on the pump, turn the valves to spa and turn the heater to spa. If you want full remote automation I recommended the Pentair easy touch.

o

Does that system come with the actuators, transformer, and something to control my heater temp? I looked online and it didn't really say.

o

The part number I quoted has the actuators and two temp probes, one for water and one for air temp.

If you opt for a unit with a bundled salt cell, it's transformer is in th control enclosure.

Typically, a single pair of low voltage wire is used between the controller and the heater. The heater is set to on but the wires, when the control relay is open, prevents the heater from firing until the controller wants it to. You set the controller, it does the rest.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here