Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Construction questions. Feedback please

Posted by cakelady_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 6:09

1. We have had water standing in the pool since following our gunite in the first week of August. At first it was just a few inches. Though following an inch of rain in August and 4 inches of rain the first week of September our pool filled with several feet of water. The spa stayed filled with just 5 inches of rainwater. We had rainwater from the yard fill against the outside of the pool where the large hole was made during our dig. Will this water that is now slowly starting to evaporate in the pool cause any problems during our plaster? The large hole was filled with sand 3 weeks ago. I think there is a good chance ground water may seep back to the pool after pumping it out.

2. The depth of our trenches has been questioned here during my initial posting during construction. It looks like the backwash line will be the most exposed. Besides being at risk for damage by the lawn mower, has anyone in Houston had a problem with freezing issues with their buried plumbing?

3. I noticed a very sandy layer under the gunite around our bubblers. Also towards the back of the 2nd step there is a sandy area where you can brush off a thin area of gunite. Is this something to worry about? Will it be an issue with plastering?

Thank you in advance. I have learned so much from all of you!

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Construction questions. Feedback please

1) The water should not be an issue. They will pump it out before plaster and then prep the shell. Make sure that a hydrostatic vavle has been installed in the deep end so that if the ground water pressure gets too great it will pop and not cause your pool to float. 2) As I am in Georgia I am not sure of your climate or frost line so I can't answer this question. 3) They should fill the holes around your bubblers with Hydraulic cement and it is normal to have some erosion with Gunite.

o

Sceadu, thank you so much for your response!
Do most main drains have a hydrostatic valve integrated inside? I do not recall other plumbing in the deep end floor besides the 2 drains. There are only several weep holes in the flooring.

I was trying to learn more about hydrostatic valves and came across information on using a relief pipe or adding holes to the pool floor in case we would ever have to drain it without a hyro drain. Draining the pool is the only situation we would have to worry about the water under the pool causing it to pop up right? Seems like there may still be pressure under the pool when drained and weep holes filled in right before plaster. I'm still surprised by 3+ feet of water that came up into our pool from ground water after a hard rain.

o

Once the pool is full of water, the water in teh pool will equalize with the water out side the pool and all will be fine. The hydra valce is not part of the maindrains. If you are seeing weep holes in the deep end then it sounds like they have it set up for a hydrovalve.

o

Thanks again for your time with this!
"If you are seeing weep holes in the deep end then it sounds like they have it set up for a hydrovalve."

Since the pool is already gunited, there is still a chance we could instal a hydrovalve into one of these weep holes? This is a picture a few days after gunite, before the rain.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here