Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
12 Volt Pool Light / 110 controller

Posted by tgmccallie (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 0:50

I have a 12 volt Hayward Color Logic pool light that I want to use to replace my present 110 volt one.

I have a Fiberstars 110 volt controller (wireless). Can I use it with the 12 volt light if I use a 12 volt transformer to reduce the voltage to the light?

Should I reduce the voltage before it goes to the controller or after the controller before it goes to the light?

The controller does not have a timer clock. It has 3 switches, the first one for the light and 2 more that can be used for spa or other 12 volt apparatus.

The switches turn off and on as well as manual and remote. You switch it to remote to use it wireless.

Any suggestions as to if I can use the controller and if so what would be the best configuration?

If I want to use all 3 switches as 12 volt I guess I would have to reduce voltage before the controller. If I reduce it after the controller, I think I would have to wire the light directly from the transformer and that would leave the other 2 switches as 110 volt ones.

Advise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 12 Volt Pool Light / 110 controller

I too had a 115-volt obviously inteded to electrocute the swimmer till replacing it with 12-v sealed-beam headlight

I placed transformer outside pool area in junction box which formerly contained only wiring twists. Other participants more familiar with your setup will doubtlessly elaborate but in any worst case of transformer leakage or wet wiring use also GFI as far back in the system as feasible

Meanwhile I shall fwd a link of this thread to several of my more knowledgeable pool buddies then fwd any response here

o

Which fiberstars unit do you have?

o

Sorry Tg but I don't use the unit, everything I have done is off-the-cuff but doubtlessly somebody else more familiar with the conventional outfitting will respond shortly

o

TG, use a light switch in an enclosure to supply power to the transformer that supply's the light fixture. Get power from a GFCI breaker to the switch.

Don't use parts from other equipment. That's not only against code but is not just asking for, but rather is DEMANDING problems you don't want any part of.

Scott

o

TG - If you are going to use the controller, I would have the controller switch 115VAC from a GFCI protected circuit. Many contacts rated for switching AC may have a low amp rating for switching DC. DC by definition does not have a voltage zero crossing and the arcing may prematurely fail the contact. Switching DC will also result in a higher switching current 50W @ 12VDC = 4.2 amps, 50W @ 115VAC = 0.43 amps. If you want to switch DC check the relays specifications.

Also consider that the low voltage transformer must be rated a for swimming pool or spa application. These transformers have isolation between the 120VAC and 12V.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here