Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keschete

New Small Pool in Louisiana (pics)

keschete
12 years ago

New Small pool build for all those people looking at building small pools. Mine is 16 ft wide x 25 feet long. The spa is in the pool and is 4 feet wide x 10 feet long. I will have a negative edge water spill over into the pool.

Here are some pics of the build so far and the tile. I rescue dogs, so they are all interested in what is going on.

The waterline tiles and mosaics for the steps.

My Orca Mosaics, mine have shadows

Comments (19)

• poolmd
    12 years ago

wow........the structure of a pool/spa should never ever be built like this. You have no structual strenghth between the 2 . Looks like a rookie mistake that can never be repaired after gunite. The dirt all needs to go, and a steel curtain placed as the dam wall between pool and spa. You need to halt construction and force them to build it correctly. Contractors that will build like this, give us good guys a bad name...

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Agreed. The dirt from about foot below the present spa floor and up must go. The water pressure will push the wall right out into the pool if you don't.

Scott

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

I was just going to comment on your mosaics. I love them! I am getting a family of 4 turtles (2 big 2 small to represent our family) and mine are going to have shadows also. I just mosaics. I think they are great and could have easily gone overboard and put them all over the pool :) Good luck and def get the pool built correctly so you are not disappointed!

• golfgeek
    12 years ago

keschete,
    You really need to have them also remove all grass inside the formed pool area and any grass that will be under the deck area.

Unfortunatey, they worked very hard to save the dirt dam wall.

Reasons for NOT keeping the dirt dam wall:

1) This area could be above the frost line, if it applies to your part of the country.

2) If you have slightly expansive soil you can expect some movement at this area. Saturated soil tends to expand. This is one reason rock is used on the floor of the pool. The other is ground water.

Lastly, most engineered plans call for the spa floor and the pool to be tied together. Please check the engineered plan that is being used. Does it even have a spa structural detail?
    Good luck.

• goyom
    12 years ago

Make sure you talk to your builder about that spa before any more work starts.
    3 of the replies in this thread to you came from builders that know their trade.

Wish you the best.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Sorry goyom, I am not a builder. I just fix and augment so you have to knock one off your count but the point is made.

That soil does appear to be rich in clay too.

Scott

• poolmd
    12 years ago

Do you mind me asking what part of louisiana your in??

• keschete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know what to say...

I am in South Louisiana.

• poolmd
    12 years ago

I am in South La as well, if you need advice.....

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

keschete,
    We do this for the betterment of our industry. Judging from the care shown by the excavation team, they meant no harm. If this is the only issue you have with your build, you'll be fine. Just ask them to lose that dirt wall, some floor dirt in the spa, and the grass before they rebar and plumb.

Keep the pix coming just in case.

Scott

Scott

• domingos35
    12 years ago

yes the spa wall SHOULD be made of steal and gunite not dirt.
    and whats up with the grass left on top of the spa dirt wall?
    thats a first
    fix it now or regret it later

• poolmd
    12 years ago

keschete , Just curious if you have any updates?

• goyom
    12 years ago

I wondered too what became of that pool and what the builder had to say about the dirt.

Hope we didn't scare kseschete off.

• aqua_man
    12 years ago

Any update???

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

After they gunite the inside of the spa, there will not be any room left for water!

• mjkat
    12 years ago

Click on the first picture in this thread to go to the actual album. If you go back to picture #2, you will see the finished pool.

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

Thanks. I was wondering what happened. I was feeling pretty bad for her. I am sure she felt overwhelmed to hear everything about her PB was wrong. I understand why everyone was warning her but I am sure overwhelming nonetheless. Hopefully, they did what they should have and she has a sound pool that makes her happy.

• rmrc12
    12 years ago

That's the thickest spa wall I've ever seen. Was that the design or did the PB do this because there was no steal used?

• golfgeek
    12 years ago

It was most likey designed to be an 18-24" wide spillway. It's built with the look of a negative edge pool.

Agree with Scott about the intent. Glad I didn't have to tie steel in that spa with the wall and the bench. It's a PITA.