Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet another pool contract needing input please!!!!!

Posted by sammyw (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 23:34

Hi there,
We are located in central Texas and we have finally decided to become a pool owner. Needless to say, this forum is undoubtedly the first stop one has to make before signing.

16x40 fiberglass pool and rock dig installation $35,750
21,000 gallons
3'10" - 6'6"
Backfill materials and hauling charges $3,000
Bond beam with rebar for stone decking $1,200
Electrical $1,300
ALL 2" PLUMBING ON SKIMMER AND MAIN DRAINS/SUCTIONS, ALL 2" ABOVE GRADE, 1 1/2" PLUMBING ON RETURNS, WATER FEATURES, DECK JETS AND SLIDE. �
Telescopic pole, leaf net, wall brush, vacuum hose and head, skimmer plate, test kit and start up chemicals.
Skimmer and 3 returns.
Perimeter tile allowance $2,700
G-force slide with paver anchors and installation $3,850
Waterfall: 1 x 48" sheer descent and 2 x 24" sheer descents.
24" $350 each and 48" $500. Plumbing, valves and lines $300.
2- DECK JETS $250 EACH INCLUDED
Lighting: LED lighting pal-2000 x 5 with remote control and timer $1,695
Easy touch control 4 function installed $1,300
Pentair cartridge filter�CLEAN & CLEAR 320
Pentair intelliflo VARIABLE SPEED VS- PUR-10-1018
Pentair intelliflo salt system�INTELLICHLOR IC40 $1,295
Pool cleaner KREEPY KRAULY PROWLER 830 $1,136
Propane gas heater MASTER TEMP 250k BTU $1,700

TOTAL $56,426
5% discount if paid in full $53,604

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet another pool contract needing input please!!!!!

That seems a little high for a fiberglass pool IMO. We are in the process of having a 13x31 gunite pool installed with hottub, raised bond beam wall, etc. for $48K. A friend of mine just had his gunite pool, which is about the same size as yours, with 2 waterfalls 2 fire bowls and a hottub for $55K.

o

SpeisFamily, thank you for your response. Yes, it does seem a little high, hence my hesitation. Also, there is no decking included but he has offered for us to buy our pavers at wholesale through him. The pool builder is very well known in the fiberglass industry and does great work.
The 5% discount is nice but not having any leverage during the build due to paying in full might be foolish. Thanks again.

o

NEVER pay in full. Even with a great reputation, paying in full is foolish. And the prices I mentioned above includes decking. In fact I have 10 feet of decking behind my pool for a fire pit area. I would get several more estimates before making any commitments.

o

That's what I would say-don't pay in full. In MD it is a law that you can't pay more than x amount at the time of signing the contract so I would think there is that law in TX? Maybe not but worth researching. Then we pay after certain stages (plumbing, gunite, decking, etc). Just tell them you want the 5% discount anyway or you'll walk. Our PB gave us a 16% discount because they want pool builds before it gets too cold here. They all can surely make deals. I wish I could offer more advise but I just signed my contract yesterday. I can tell you your heater was way cheaper than mine and more BTU's. Good luck! It is a hard decision.

o

SpeisFamily and PoolMD123, thank you for the good advice and encouragement. The pay-in-full idea is foolish and could probably result in costing me more than I would save. Much obliged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here