Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Total newbie, diy inground spa?

Posted by enigmaquandry (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 23:18

I am completely new to the world of pools and spas. The hubby is from Alabama and bringing him up to the land of snow and cold, I'd like to make him an inground hot tub in the backyard. I'm open to any ideas for a simple diy job (though I understand these things aren't simple). I've considered fiberglass shells but they're a little too $$, livestock tanks, but I'm not sure they won't crack when buried in the freeze/thaw cycle. I'm recently thinking about pond/pool vinyl liner? Really we only need/want this thing to be quite small, maybe four people in it at the very most. We need it to have a filtering system and preferably some sort of heating/jet system. Realistically our budget is 1,000 or under but we are prepared to do ALL the work ourselves...we just need some experienced direction!

I am looking for any leads, links or ideas whatsoever, I really appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Total newbie, diy inground spa?

Just the pump, filter and heater will cost more than that. That doesn't cover the controller, electrical, plumbing, or the sitting area.

Scott

o

Hmmm, maybe I need to rethink some things. I had expected the components to be around $400ish, maybe I was thinking too low...

we're thinking of simplifying to perhaps no jets or heater, so really just a small, pool with a pump and filter. I'm not sure the best way to go about that, but it might be a more realistic approach.

o

I searched DIY hottub on google. This was the second result LOL.

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/hottub/hottub.htm

o

As silly as it sounds, I plan on doing exactly what the guy in goyom's link did, well, with a few changes to make it look a touch more built-in....something like the pic below. My goals were to have a small wading pool that can be heated into the 80's for March/April and Oct/Nov. I dont really want a 100deg hot tub...I started out searching for a hot tub, but I really dont want all the molded interiors, I really just want an inground small wading pool. My parents have a nice pool, and our YMCA has a GREAT pool..huge, beach entry, tons of fountains, etc if we really want to go swimming. But to lay on a float, and add a pretty element to our backyard, this should suffice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here