Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with autofill

Posted by davidpoling (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 23:17

My PB kind of abandoned me at the last stage of construction and never hooked up my poolmiser autofill. It didn't look too difficult so I went ahead and hooked it up myself via the hose bib on the house and underground PVC. I have 2 other "satellite" hose bibs on that same line (not to be used simultaneously of course) and a vacuum breaker. I got it all hooked up and it seems to work ok, but anytime someone jumps into the pool the valve opens and closes over and over until the water settles back down. It wouldn't matter too much to me, but the vacuum breaker "spits" a little every time there's a sudden jolt of pressure change. Has anyone else ever had this issue or am I just doing something wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with autofill

How deep in the pool is the opening to the autofill?

The water line feeding the hose bibs may need an anti-hammer device attached. Its basically a shock absorber for the water in the pipe that stops suddenly.

Scott

o

The end of the pool at the autofill is only 4 feet deep, but it also has a swimout maybe 6 or so inches below the water equalizer line with the water line 6 inches above that.

I'll look into that anti-hammer device. Does anyone know if they reduce pressure?

o

The opening between the auto filler and the pool is usually at least 18" down. most of the currents are near the surface, hence the changes in depth in the auto filler's chamber.

The anti hammer devices are usually an air bladder in a vessel. Since water doesn't compress, the momentum is absorbed by the bladder, killing the hammer effect.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here