Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenspencer001

Our very first pool build DFW!

jenspence
10 years ago

We got started on our pool build today. Wow! Today was so exciting....dig day! I still have to select my tiles, but can't wait to see it all come together. Our pool is 38'x24', 3.5-8.5 deep with a jump platform. I've uploaded the 2D design.

Comments (52)

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day two....steel and plumbing!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle....

• busouthpaw22
    10 years ago

What company is doing your pool? I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went with Watercrest Pools. So far, everything is going great!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gunite was completed today! I hear that this is where is seems to slow waaaaaayyyyy down on the build process. Been fun so far!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the tile I am leaning towards. I have gone back and forth between something like a slate and something bold. I am thinking bold would be really fun:-)! Has anyone used these before? This is Nile Blue 6x6 and Rainforest turquoise 1x1 both from Noble Tile. I would love opinions (& pics if you've ever used either of these)!

• Chris
    10 years ago

Congrats - looking great so far!
    It definitely does slow down after gunite...

As for the tile - I like it! I think you have to go with whatever you like the most as it's you that will be looking at it every day.

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Amazing tile choice. LOVE. I think it's kind of slate-y and kind of bold. Best o' both worlds.

Wait til you see that filtered sunlight on the sparkling water! Great yard for a pool.

If you have a sprinkler system, ask your guy to rig up whatever it takes to automatically water those urns on the back wall.

Congrats.

• jerseypool
    10 years ago

Looking good. Where are you located?

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! We are located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. @Banana_fanna, we are having irrigation lines connected that go into the pots. We live in Texas so I was definitely concerned about that, especially since it gets well over 100 degrees here! Thanks for your complements on the tile. I am still a bit nervous about it! I hope it all comes together beautifully:-)!

• Chris
    10 years ago

How are you progressing? I really love the jump platform idea!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tile went in yesterday!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view...rolled beam on the spa;)

• Chris
    10 years ago

Have the plumbers destroyed your yard yet?!
    I couldn't believe how much devastation the trenches caused.
    Looking great so far - love the rolled edge on the spa.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes and it's an AMAZING mess! I think it will all be worth it though! Lol!

• Chris
    10 years ago

It will!! It's going to be beautiful when its all done!

My pool builder and my father in law warned me about the mess the yard would be but it still came as a bit if a shock. After gunite I was like, this isn't as bad as they said it was going to be, then the plumbers came and my yard looked like it had an infestation of moles!!!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stonework has begun. Slight delay due to rain today, so no more work until next week. Decking should also start next week!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Beautiful! That rolled edge in the space is great.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stonework is still going....

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close pic of one of the columns to show the stacked stone....

• Chris
    10 years ago

The stonework looks great! It takes time though...
    I think we were 2 weeks for stonework in the end...

• Chris
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Congrats - it looks great!
    Do you know what your schedule is moving forwards?

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are doing the deck set now. Not sure how long that will take! Then they will seal the stone, pour the deck, build the fire pit and outdoor kitchen, then plaster. After it's all done, we then get to call our landscaper and see what we need for him to do to get the yard into something livable again ;-). Hopefully, then we can stop spending until spring when we will need to buy more furniture and floats! I can't wait to be at the place you are Cbink and get to enjoy it!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Very nice. The stone work is beautiful and the rolled beam on the spa looks very luxe.

It might be the angle of the photo but is the scupper on the far right NOT centered between the two columns? Can't wait to see it with water. It looks big now and usually once the water is in, it'll look even bigger.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It doesn't look centered does it? I hadn't noticed that! I will have to look tomorrow when it's daylight again. If it's not centered, not sure what I can do about it now. Ugh! So far, still love it and hope it won't be an issue:-)!

Tomorrow is an inspection day, then the deck pour is next week!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok....@ banana_fanna....brought this (scupper not centered) to Pb's attn and they will fix it when they do the fire pit and outdoor kitchen stonework. So glad you pointed it out otherwise I probably would have realized it too late! Thank you ! :-)

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starting the outdoor kitchen....

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other side....

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seating area under the trees....still need to acid wash and clean stones.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fire pit area....

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can't get it all in the picture! Still have alot of work to do. Repairing the off-centered scupper/stone work on pool wall, acid washing all decking, pool plaster, add stone diving platform step-up, finish outdoor kitchen, clean-up of yard and play set area, and lots of landscaping! Also will be putting a flagstone walkway to seating area under the trees and to fire pit area. Can't wait until it's all ready for entertaining!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another...you can see here they've started fixing the scupper on the right side....

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

Looks great! I see they're replacing the scupper! So glad it wasn't a big issue. Suring installation, I made our tile guy tear out a whole section of my water line tile because it would have driven me crazy to look at how unsymmetrical the pattern was. LOL. But once he got out of the pool and looked at it from my kitchen window, he agreed and was happy I said something. I love how you're using the same stone to face the front of your kitchen. You're getting there!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plaster day....

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PebbleSheen has been applied! Anyone know what I need to look for next? I am not sure what else they do to the Pebble Sheen before we get to add water.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have water now! No chemicals yet and equipment is not hooked up just yet. They will do that in a day or so.

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We now have our step to the jump platform. Water is finally all in. Can't wait until everything gets turned on!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outdoor kitchen almost done. Ready to get cleaned up and start entertaining! Still waiting on electrical to put the fridge into its home.

• Chris
    10 years ago

Wow, it looks beautiful, congrats!!

• airb320
    10 years ago

That turned out very nice ! Enjoy...:-)

• miniminer77
    10 years ago

Hi. I love love what you have done so far. Can't wait to see the finished pictures. What is the finish on your decking? We are going to put a pool in and I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what finish I want on a concrete decking

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! We have exposed aggregate on pool deck and limecoat on covered patio. The colors are all great together and we are very happy. I will post more pics as soon as it's complete:-)!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

I love the picture of the sun rays on the pool. Like the angels are singing....LOL

Looks great.

• Rickhobo
    10 years ago

What a beautiful back yard! Enjoy!!

• jenspence
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've had a lot of very cold weather. Even though we haven't really gone swimming yet, we are getting some great use out of the hot tub! Can't wait for Spring so we can finish landscaping and furnishing the patio. Looking forward to my first dive! :-)

• biancac616
    6 years ago

Were you happy with the rainforest 1by1 turquoise tiles?