Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturallover

Tennessee Crab Orchard Flagstone

naturallover
16 years ago

has anyone heard of this flagstone? I decided to go with it but wanted some feedback if anyone either has it or has experience with it, how it does for coping and with salt water...

thanks

Comments (20)

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Naturallover

Our coping is grey Tennessee Crab Orchard, both the pool and the spa.We have had it for Almost 1 year (pool finished last Oct). We have a SWG and have had no problems with the coping at all.

• naturallover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

do you have any pictures you could post showing your coping tennessee crab orchard, and what state do you live in?

• ktdave
    16 years ago

We have TN Crab Orchard as coping. The pool (with SWG) is only two months old, so I really can't comment on the compatability with salt water, but we love the color. Our PB sealed it with a sealer that left a natural finish (not glossy) and water beads up on the flagstone.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• muddy_water
    16 years ago

Hey here is a pic of a pool we built with Tn flagstone...and I'm going to do my own pool with it also...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Reposting with pictures inbedded.

• naturallover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks everyone -- very helpful -- JONELLIS what is the name of the pool interior finish -- pebble -- color and brand, and what waterline tile is it (the tiny tiles) they are gorgeous - name and brand?

and to KTDAVE what is the name of the natural finish sealer where it doesn't make it look glossy on the flagstone? is there any concern that the sealer will not mix with the saltwater system? i'd appreciate it if your pb would give the name brand of sealer he used.
    thanks for pics and response!

• ktdave
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what the brand was, I'll try and find out and get back to you. I have noticed in looking at sealers at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc that the different brands usually say on them whether they are glossy, satin, or natural finish as well as exterior vs interior.

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Naturallover,

The interior is Pebbletec Tahoe Blue. I don't know what the tile name is as we found it at a local masonary supply and the PB ordered it. It is natural slate 1x1 squares that comes in 12x12 sheets on mesh backing. Very easy to to install. I've still got a couple of boxes of the slate left, I'll check to see if there is any manufacturer/product info on the box.

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Naturallover,
    Here's a link to the slate tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to 1x1 slate mosaics

• naturallover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow -- that is expensive stuff -- $14.75 per sq. foot? but very nice. thank you for the link, jonellis, and what state do you live in

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Im in NJ, I wouldn't be too concerned about the list price. Our pool builder purchsed it and we did not have to pay anything extra. I suspect that the material price to the trade is slightly more expensive than regular pool tile, but this is offset by reduced labor required to install. When you cut the sheet in two, you get a 12 x 6 piece which is twice as big as a standard 6 x 6 tile-- goes up quicker. Also, the 1x1's make it MUCH easier to go around radiuses. Bottom line, I don't think it should cost you anything extra.

• ktdave
    16 years ago

Jonellis,
    Nice job on your pool! Looks Great!

How do you like your pebbletec so far (feel, texture)? We have white pearl in beach entry and midnight blue. I was at first apprehensive of the texture thinking it might get uncomfortable after many hours in the pool, but I've found that not to be true. The look to me was the deciding factor for us as we love the way the larger grains look as opposed to that of the pebblesheen and other finer textured pebble surfaces.

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Ktdave,

Absolutely love the Pebbletec. We were somewhat apprehensive as well, but have found the the larger/rougher pebbles to be no issue at all. We chose it for the more natural look too, and have been very pleased with the texture and color.

BTW, your pool looks great too .. glad to hear it working out so well for you.

• hawkfive
    16 years ago

jonellis,

I love your mosaic tile! I live in NJ as well - do you know where your PB got the tile? I followed your link to the homeportfolio website, and when I entered my zip, they couldn't find a dealer with 200 miles!

Many thanks.

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Hawkfive,

We found it at Morris Brick & Stone in Morristown(link below although the mosaic is not on their site). If you're in northern NJ, you're welcome to come by and see it installed on our pool. We're hoping to get 1 more weekend out of the pool so it's still open. We're in Chester. If you're interested send me an email at jonellis@patmedia.net

Good luck with your pool build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morris Brick & Stone

• momof3littleboys
    16 years ago

Jonellis,

I really love your pool and landscaping. We also live in NJ. Who is your PB and landscaper? Were you happy with them?

• jonellis
    16 years ago

Momof3littleboys,

Send me an email at jonellis@patmedia.net and I'll respond.

• muddy_water
    16 years ago

Living in Tennessee I had to put it in my own pool ....Just completed yesterday...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus