Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzydogrnch_gw

Austin Builder good or bad

lzydogrnch
12 years ago

We are meeting with our 4th builder tomorrow. It is really hard to get info on them. The 1st one was off the mark design wise, the 2nd had sky high pricing, the 3rd we loved the design but found out at dinner that he did a poor job for a friend. Crossing our fingers on number 4. Really scared of getting ripped off. Does anyone have a builder they love/hate? What are some key things to look for? Any help is appreciated.

Comments (11)

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

Looking for builder or pool builder?

• lzydogrnch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Pool builder! Thanks

• jdub21
    12 years ago

I just recently had a pool built by a recommended builder, however things did not go as smooth as i thought they would. I thought i did my homework by calling references. I would just say to make sure you call several references and if possible go look at some of the builders pools; hopefully you won't have the problems i had but make sure you stay on top of the constructions and monitor everything they are doing.

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

We are currently building a pool with Johnson Pools. They are a local, family owned/run business. We won't complete the project for a while -- we had to do a partial build of the pool now because of the sequencing of other things on a new house build -- but,so far, so good.

• lzydogrnch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. We have had 4 people out with prices ranging from $60,000 to 115K. Kinda crazy! jbud-who did your pool?

• lzydogrnch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like Johnson pools but they are very far from me.
    Jbud-Who did you use?

• fpetrini
    12 years ago

I'm in Austin (Texas) and I am currently building a pool. I am just past gunite and about to begin tile and coping. We used Texas Pools & Patios. I have zero complaints and they have been receptive and patience throughout the process up to this point. They definetly do not rush the build and from what I can tell have done a fantastic job. I had three separate quotes, and all were different. Ultimately going with my PB was not necessarily a function of price (it helped) but more of the feeling I got when discussing the design. I had no pressure and got honest answers to all my concerns prior to contract, and never felt like I was trying to be upsold. I recommend them based on my limited experience so far.
    Good luck.

• iPoint2
    12 years ago

We just wrapped up building a pool on the north west side of Austin. We used Athena Pools. I visited many job sites of all the companies we interviewed, in the end I could tell the difference between one builder and another. I chose Athena based on how clean his work was for mason/electrical/plumbing and his good reviews. Key with this company is doing things correct rather than saving a penny. That is my take anyways.

• fpetrini
    12 years ago

Just finished mine and am very happy. I posted above, we used Texas Pools & Patios and the entire process was pretty stress free, and they were VERY accommodating to changes I made along the way and making sure I was up to date (as I wanted to be) throughout the process. There were no hidden surprises and they finished in the time frame they estimated from the beginning. I spoke with one of the owners when I had questions or concerns and all my conversations were with one of the owners not a project manager per say. I highly recommend them

• donnaw
    12 years ago

Jpetrini, do you have a picture of your finished pool? We're considering a build w tx pools and patio. Who was your sales / designer?

• fpetrini
    11 years ago

I do have some pics from when they finished. Send me your email address and I will email them to you
    fpetrini@gmail.com

The designer/sales guy was one of the owners, Jeff Crites.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner