Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandindfw

pebble tec pebble sheen problems

kandindfw
9 years ago

Hi and thank you for the forums. My wife and I hired a company in the DFW area about a year ago to install and 20k gallon pool with salt generator and slate blue pebble sheen. We are having major issues with the pebble sheen plaster. The seems to be a great deal of discoloration and pitting in the plaster. Im posting pics i took with an underground camera. Also, the finish has a good amount of bumps/humps, is this normal? Does anyone here feel that it is unreasonable to ask the pool builder to honor his one year warranty on the plaster? Would you consider this a failed plaster finish? Thank you and any input is appreciated.

Comments (21)

• kandindfw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• kandindfw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of the pitting in pebble tec plaster

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

there are irregularities in my pebbletec color but no pitting. I wonder if the salt and possibly excessive use of salt might be causing the pitting. I would call the contractor IMMEDIATELY as it is your right as a consumer. At the very minimum he can explain exactly what is happening and at the most, it may be the job needs to be redone. You won't know til you call. And if you still not satisfied by what contractor says, you can call a third party for an opinion.

• just-a-pb
    9 years ago

Hi,
    First are you sure they installed a "Pebble Tec" finish?
    That doesn't look like slate blue to me, if anything it looks more like Aqua blue, or not any of their products.

Pebble tec installed properly does not erode, or pit. Chemicals can make this happen. Pouring in a lot of acid, or leaving chemicals lay in one spot on the floor.

If it is Pebble tec, then you have a 5 year warranty with them. If builder wont help, go pebble tec online and request support.
    You may just find out that you didn't get what you thought you were supposed to get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble Technology

• natural_one
    9 years ago

wait wait wait just-a-pb...... you're saying companies freely use the term pebbletec but install a subpar knockoff?! See Kleenex vs. tissue

• just-a-pb
    9 years ago

Natural one.
    You are too funny.
    You know, as well as I, it that it happens all the time.
    Especially in other states, but still hear about it here every now and then.

• natural_one
    9 years ago

just-a-pb,

One of the (many) reasons I got out of the business :) It's hard to compete with liars. Sad to see homeowners get taken. All the best to you.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

The streaks can be cleared up with a no-drain acid wash. Not sure how you'd address the unevenness and pitting though.

• Damien99
    9 years ago

Are you in Az? I have 22 years of hard labor as a pool plumber to let this turn into a get rich quick squeem continue. PebbleTec stands by their product now how about the start up guy? I know what happened @ the main drain, the pitting chemicals. Did you happen to see the truck that did the work?

• User
    7 years ago

How did this turn out? What did you learn?

• mrs_fluff
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I am having a similar issue with same pebble plaster pictured in the original post except mine is already 12 years old. This year, I had the pool acid washed. The acid was diluted propery from what I know. The pitting isn't really terrible, a lot of pebbles come loose apparently when you acid wash, but the discoloration started to appear mainly in two small areas over the course of the season. I have never had a plaster issue before. My pool guy insists that it's not the acid wash - and maybe he's 100% correct - but I have no other explanation. Yet. I bought an underwater camera but haven't yet developed the film. In the meantime, can any of you here shed light on acid washing pebble plaster. I've read a lot of posts where pool experts warn against it. My pool guy assures me that it's a lot of chatter, and, that done right, acid washing pebble is fine. I treasure this guy, he's hard working and honest. It's not a good spot to be in. I just want to figure out what is going on.

• lvpools
    6 years ago

Acid washing if done properly is fine. Many times loss of rock and not pitting is the problem. The loss of rock makes the surface appear discolored but in reality it is the loss of rock which changes the appearance. If the surface is rough and no longer fairly smooth this is most likely the problem.

• mrs_fluff
    6 years ago

Hmmm...so you say it's ok. You are the first. Most of the pool pros I encounter say they wouldn't take a chance. In my case, the pebbles are intact where the discoloration is. Where the pebbles fall off, I call them bald patches, it's just a brighter blue. Not the icky bluegreen I'm talking about. How long have you been acid washing pebble pools? If so. what dilution do you use? Even encounter a problem?

• lvpools
    6 years ago

Pebble pools are acid washed the day after the initial product is applied. If acid washing is bad it would not be done on new uncured plaster. The ratio depends on the pool. If there is scale on the pebble a very strong solution may be needed, if the acid wash is to brighten the surface and general cleaning it may be 20%. Personally have been acid washing pools for around 25 years.

• lvpools
    6 years ago

Here is an example, same pool, same area before and after a acid bath. The damage on the top picture was caused by improper care. On bottom it looks brand new. Black is the easiest color for this to work on.

• mrs_fluff
    6 years ago

My pool was plastered with pebble in 2005. It was initially white (in 04) and before long black started showing through by the skimmers and swimout. A&S came and looked and said it was indeed defective and replastered. I chose to go with pebble instead. I paid for the materials. The job turned out ok. (I had a LOT of problems with A&S...it was NOT an overall good experience and that's putting it mildly.) There a few rough trowel patches and where that discoloration is is one of them, but not the entire area. I bought an underwater camera and took a whole roll of pics that I will get back next Thursday. Hopefully the close-ups will help in the ID of this problem. This was my very first acid wash. If the acid wash did in fact cause this, can it be corrected? What was the issue with the black (above)? Improper care as in? The after shot looks great! Thanks much!

• lvpools
    6 years ago

The discoloration was caused by chemical abuse. The acid bath pulled the pigment back to the surface returning it to the original black color.

• mrs_fluff
    6 years ago

Hmmm. I'm wondering if that is the solution to my problem. I feel like I'm stuck in a place with no way to get to the bottom of it. Can stain ID be effectively accomplished with photos? I took a whole roll of underwater pics. Do you know of any plaster experts for hire in NJ? Or the surrounding area? My pool guy doesn't seem much interested in helping at this point. I think he's afraid I'm trying to go after him, but I'm not. He's a good guy. If the staining is from the acid wash all I want is to remediate it.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6 years ago

Mrs Fluff, please contact me through private message and I will give you the name of my plaster contractor and also a reputable pool service in your area.

• mrs_fluff
    6 years ago

Message sent. Tnx!