Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brownstone coping?

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 21:16

Has anyone ever used brownstone coping? I can't find any examples of it on Google or any forum. I would love to see some pictures... and find out whether it will hold up well on a salt water pool.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brownstone coping?

Has anyone ever used this? I am finding it hard to find anything about it online... or it's suitability for coping on a salt water pool. I have been told it is a hard stone like bluestone... I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it anywhere in your yard.

Here is a picture... top is EP Henry Pewter Gray paver that we are using for deck... next down is three coping samples... left is bluestone and right two are brownstone. Next is two tile choices we are looking at... and then the diamondbrite pieces below that.

We are leaning toward the left tile and the left diamondbrite (french gray).

It looks like the bluestone is too close to the paver gray... looks like we tried to match but it did not work. The brownstone adds a slightly different shade to contrast (may be too much contrast?). It has a "thermal" textured surface so it will not be slippery.

We need to decide on a rough pool edge (as pictured) or top edge half bullnose or full bullnose on pool side. Does anyone have the rough edge on their coping? We like the look, but is it too rough on legs when sitting or getting in or out? How about half bullnose? It costs more for full bullnose, but I almost think half would look unfinished. I have not been able to find any pictures of half bullnose coping.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

o
RE: Brownstone coping?

Both stones look pretty thick. The brown looks to be grainy. That can be a problem a erosion is more likely, especially if you are in an area where there are pretty substantial temperature changes.

Take a nail and scratch the surface. If it leaves a white line where scratched, I would pass.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here