Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Dead termites in the pool!!!

Posted by dustypool (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 21:13

OK, I don't know whether to be grateful or horrified. But there were about 100 dead-with-wings-still-on-them termites floating in my pool today. So were they swarming from somewhere else, trying to get to my house -- and got stymied (and killed) by the presence of our new pool?? That would be good news, I guess - my pool acting as a barrier and protecting my house! Or, do swimming pools attract termites somehow? That, of course, would be bad. I don't think they originated from my house, which was recently inspected and found to be termite-free. But here's the thing: do pools attract termites or do they deter them? Maybe I should just call out the termite people and find out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Dead termites in the pool!!!

Ok, I don't know if termites are like ants, but it could have been mating day. All the little worker ants you always see are always girl ants who have no wings - except the queen. The boy ants are born with wings and stay underground as they grow and only come out once, with the queen, on mating day. They fly around and mate and the queen goes back underground to lay her eggs, and the boy ants with wings die right away. They are no longer of any use. :)

Females rule the world I tell ya :)

Here's the thing though - if that is the case, that means there is a colony with a queen somewhere nearby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here