Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why cloudy water??

Posted by joanneswimsct (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 21:06

Hi all!
We have a 20X38 vinyl pool w/ Hayward pump and DE filter. We just took apart the filter to really clean the grids as we weren't happy w/ our results just backwashing. My husband noted huge clumps of DE in the grids; after backwashing we were told to just gently pour the DE into the skimmer dry. I read on this forum not long ago that making a slurry vs pouring in dry DE was better for the filter so that's what we did this last time. Since then, every time the pump stops for the night, the basket that sits in front of the pump fills w/ cloudy water which looks suspiciously like the DE slurry. I also noticed that after the pool settles over night, there is a tannish-white dusty like substance that collects in all of the crevices of the pool floor and hopper by morning. I vacuumed it up but am worried that it is DE and will keep settling on the floor. Your thoughts??
Thanks as always!!!
Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why cloudy water??

What you are describing, DE in the pool is coming from your DE filter. You need to re-inspect your grids, the top collector mainfold, o-ring on the standpipe and look for defects (cracks, breaks, etc.) Vacuuming up the DE is good but it will keep coming back into the pool until you fix the problem. One possibility is that you may have added too much DE for you filter size and you may need to backwash some DE out of your filter. Remember never add DE in backwash mode, it could destroy your grids.

o

Additional note: The amount of fresh DE added after a backwash should be less than the amount used with a new or freshly cleaned grid assembly. Backwashing doesn't get all the old DE out. After a backwash of a properly maintained grid, I use about 75 to 80% of the called for DE.

Scott

o

Perhaps TO but it might be noted in passing that the addition of Ph Up or the like causes temporarily cloudiness

o

Jonnes,
If the pump basket is filling with cloudy water, then you have a small seal leak in your system somewhere. When pump shuts off the water settles out of the filter into the pump basket and probably out the maindrains into the pool.
Since you just cleaned the filter I check the filter O-ring, and make sure the air bleed is clean and not leaking air.

o

Hey just-a-pb
Now that you mention it, there was a ton of air in that basket this am when the pump turned on. I had to bleed it out of the system and I can still hear air burbling around; very noisy. Will check that out; thanks!!!
Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here